Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone knows how much psi can u put a a stock svt engine im thinkin of gettin a turbo

·
Registered
975 Posts
i think 17 is the safe limit but like egman said, orange is running 19.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
orange ran more than 19 i believe but he had issues with his tuning software... don't quote me but i believe that was the case. the svt is a very stout engine. Your pistons are your problem.

·
Registered
789 Posts
it also depends on what type of turbo it is. two different sized turbos may be pushing the same amount of boost but one is pushing way more air. example, a 16g and a 3076 both pushing 20psi will be completely different. so the question you need to be asking is how much POWER can the engine handle, not how much boost. good luck if you decide to boost.

·
Registered
395 Posts
does anyone knows how much psi can u put a a stock svt engine im thinkin of gettin a turbo
It depends on the turbo set up your going with... But from experience i wouldent go over the 7-8psi stock seting for a daily driver..mabe turn it up to 12-15 max when your racing on the stock engine.. anything more your going to blow the rings or worse snap a rod..Just make sure you get a good tune and try to get new injectors or have your current ones blueprinted to suit your needs. [wrenchin]

·
Registered
133 Posts
Can't speak for him but I believe orange was running 24 or 26psi at one point and almost 400whp, then the J&S pulled timing and grenaded it or something...Either way I'd say you can very safely spike 20 and settle at 18 or something. Keep in mind the SVTs have forged pistons to begin with so they're much more receptive to boost, and that the 10.2:1 compression ratio allows you to make more power on less boost.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Can't speak for him but I believe orange was running 24 or 26psi at one point and almost 400whp, then the J&S pulled timing and grenaded it or something...Either way I'd say you can very safely spike 20 and settle at 18 or something. Keep in mind the SVTs have forged pistons to begin with so they're much more receptive to boost, and that the 10.2:1 compression ratio allows you to make more power on less boost.
well who ever ran 24-26psi on a stock motor is not to smart. your car wont last more then 10 runs down the track. and yes the svt has better pistons and rods than the zetec. but it still cant take that kind of abuse. I bet that guy aready blown his motor.[wrenchin]

·
Registered
755 Posts
There talking about an SVT engine. It can handle more than the zetec. Im runing 240hp @12psi right now with 150k+miles and a very heavy right foot. This is on shitty stock Zetec everything, so with an SVT 12 psi with about any turbo should be fine. Still, FocusFreak is right. Boost numbers dont really matter.
If you really want to go turbo, find someone in your area to take you a ride in there turbo car. Dosent have to be a focus, just a FWD turbo car. Get there numbers and decide if you want more, or less than ask and build accordingly.
I dont think 03Orange ever ran 24psi, but I could be wrong. And yes he did make over 400whp on the stock motor and stock fuel pump with BAP.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I believe orange's power goal was 400whp on 93 oct or something and he hit around 386--maybe 400+ on race fuel. He was trying to see how far he could push it on the stock SVT pistons and eventually popped the ring lands off at 20+psi, that's about as much as I recall. either way he was able to reuse the block and go from there, so that's pretty damn good in my book. SVT setup FTW.

·
Registered
548 Posts
SVTF have cast pistons.

·
Registered
395 Posts
There talking about an SVT engine. It can handle more than the zetec. Im runing 240hp @12psi right now with 150k+miles and a very heavy right foot. This is on shitty stock Zetec everything, so with an SVT 12 psi with about any turbo should be fine. Still, FocusFreak is right. Boost numbers dont really matter.
If you really want to go turbo, find someone in your area to take you a ride in there turbo car. Dosent have to be a focus, just a FWD turbo car. Get there numbers and decide if you want more, or less than ask and build accordingly.
I dont think 03Orange ever ran 24psi, but I could be wrong. And yes he did make over 400whp on the stock motor and stock fuel pump with BAP.
before you quote me look at my other posts. i know he was talken about the svt. if you want a daily driver and plan on keeping the car running with no problems for a while i wouldent go over 10psi on a stock SVT motor 12-16 at race time. anything more your going to run into alot of problems...I work at a engine/race shop and ive seen alot of people come in to get a new engine or rebuild dew to improper turbo setups. I just want to keep your guys foci alive...[wrenchin]

·
FF Affiliate
31,087 Posts
You will be safe with the stock Zetec to 250HP and 250TQ 14/16 boost

The SVT engine I wouldnt go over 300/300 and thats about 18/20psi boost

These are numbers that I have had customers running for years on with no issues

Tom

·
Registered
395 Posts
You will be safe with the stock Zetec to 250HP and 250TQ 14/16 boost

The SVT engine I wouldnt go over 300/300 and thats about 18/20psi boost

These are numbers that I have had customers running for years on with no issues

Tom

Is that for a daily driver? i was runing 12psi @ 55,000mi and my rings went out at 75,000mi. with a focus sport pcm.(ecu) zetec

·
Fins Up!
4,843 Posts
i ran 12psi (220whp) on a completely stock zetec for over a year with absolutily no trouble... of coarse it was tuned by Tom [thumb]

i swapped for a built motor for more power, no other reason.

·
FF Affiliate
31,087 Posts
Is that for a daily driver? i was runing 12psi @ 55,000mi and my rings went out at 75,000mi. with a focus sport pcm.(ecu) zetec
Well theres your problem right there "my rings went out at 75,000mi. with a focus sport pcm" Tuning is everything

Tom

·
Registered
133 Posts
Tom, cut it out. All cars are different and you know damn well that 12psi on one car isn't the same as 12psi on another. It varies with the turbo, too--the efficiency and flow characteristics have a lot to do with max psi. Some people have run the zetec at 18psi with no issues but it doesn't mean you should do it, it just means they got the pick of the litter. Please, enlighten me as to how the piston rings have ANYTHING to do with tuning. ;)

That being said, I wouldn't go above 12psi on the zetec and I agree with 18-20 on the SVT as you had quoted, but that's a mere guideline. There are plenty of other things to consider such as other supporting mods, fuel system capacity, etc.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Tom, cut it out. All cars are different and you know damn well that 12psi on one car isn't the same as 12psi on another. It varies with the turbo, too--the efficiency and flow characteristics have a lot to do with max psi. Some people have run the zetec at 18psi with no issues but it doesn't mean you should do it, it just means they got the pick of the litter. Please, enlighten me as to how the piston rings have ANYTHING to do with tuning. ;)

That being said, I wouldn't go above 12psi on the zetec and I agree with 18-20 on the SVT as you had quoted, but that's a mere guideline. There are plenty of other things to consider such as other supporting mods, fuel system capacity, etc.
[sing] Piston rings have alot to do with tuning setup(ex.compression).And yes from alot of exp if your going to have a daily driver i wouldent go over 10-12psi(zetec)12-14(svt) stock motor with pcm tuned. Iam not saying a svt cant handle 20+ but if your doing that on a stock engine trust me you will run into problems.Iam not trying to get into it with people iam just trying to help people out and keep there foci alive.Oh and your right on geting the pick of the litter it depends where the car was made and assembled.Some are right on and some arent.[thumb]

1 - 20 of 29 Posts