Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #03
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So got my turbo on and found that the turbo was no good, way to get [:)][:)][:)]ed by a member right? So I need to get the turbo rebuilt because it's pissing oil out of the exhaust side turbine. Now this member was saying that I need to have an oil restrictor because the feed line gets to much pressure from the cylinder head.

Is that true or bullshit?

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #03
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So what kind of restrictor should I use for a t3-t4 Garrett so that when I rebuild this turbo it doesn't blow out the new seals.

And where would I find these oil restrictors? I'm sorry I've just never heard of a restrictor being used.

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #03
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm just pretty upset that I still haven't finished my turbo project don't have tuning started don't have the injectors just basically got it on the car with the exhaust made and the tubing from the turbo to the intercooler made so far.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #03
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok found a local dealer with .07 its a t3/t4 garret journal bearing. Now that the seal is blown from the high pressure good chance i wont be able to drive it home 25miles with the restrictor on?

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
If you absolutely need to get home, I don't see anything catastrophic happening. Just make sure you have plenty of oil if the turbo keeps spewing it at a decent rate. The restrictor will definitely help, though.

·
FF Affiliate
31,180 Posts
ok found a local dealer with .07 its a t3/t4 garret journal bearing. Now that the seal is blown from the high pressure good chance i wont be able to drive it home 25miles with the restrictor on?
I would install the restrictor and see what happens , the way turbo seals are made you have a slight chance it will stop leaking

Light smoke and you should be fine driving it home as long as its tuned to drive

Tom

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #03
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's going to free spin on the way home won't be hooked up. Low rpm drive home

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
I'm guessing you took the spring out of your WG?

·
Boost Addict
2,628 Posts
My turbo was also smoking sometimes; started after ~20K miles. I had no restrictor the whole time. From the research I did on the issue most turbo shops say the majority of the time there is nothing wrong with the turbo. Its normally to much pressure and/or improper draining (i.e. - clogged drain line, to much pressure in block, etc).

I bought the ATP turbo restrictor linked above and have had no smoking since. I'd try the restrictor, check your crankcase venting and drainline before you get the turbo rebuilt.

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #03
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ten four guys ill update y'all tuesdY evening and see how it goes.

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #03
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nope the turbo has to much play so apparently I was screwed by a long standing member..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts