Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #03
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I just recently had my turbo rebuilt completely because the old seals and shaft were toast. Just upgraded to a 360° thrust bearing and everything. My problem is for whatever reason the Turbo is still burning oil.

Is it my drain? I have a restrictor so it can't be my feed.

Could someone show me proper return line installs? Is it better to have a return line that is perfect straight down from the turbo? My line doesn't go down until it hits the oil pan because of the down pipe. It it better to have it run down around the down pipe then back up into the pan? Also my my oil pan fitting is closer to the bottom then top.

Any help would be appreciated guys this is starting to get on my nerves bout to just go back to the powerworks

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
A pic would help but the best would be straight down, an angle would work without curves so it won't have puddles. Fitting of the return should be close to top of the oil pan as there is oil in the bottom blocking a free flow. Changed from journal to bearings? Requires different restrictor size depending on the turbo.

·
FF Affiliate
31,165 Posts
Returning to the bottom of the pan wont matter as long as the oil level is lower then the fitting on the turbo
Like stated pictures would help

Tom

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #03
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thats what it looks like now before it wasnt a straight route and now it is pretty much. The fitting is about 2-3 inches above the top of the oil pan

·
FF Affiliate
31,165 Posts
Looks fine like that , Did you blowthrough the hose to make sure its open and that is can flow freely , if the hose flows good then this would not cause you to blow the seals in the turbo

Tom

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
Looks fine like that , Did you blowthrough the hose to make sure its open and that is can flow freely , if the hose flows good then this would not cause you to blow the seals in the turbo

Tom
Thats what I was thinking as well.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
In the pic, it looks like the bung is at the bottom of the oil pan ? Shouldnt it be at the top of the pan. Or is it an optical Illusion ? Really cant tell.

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #03
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I blew through it and it drained fine just took a little blow to make it flow into the pan. I started it and ran it a couple times and the smoke is getting less and less so im guessing there was just a shit ton of oil in the exhaust from when the prior build was leaking quarts of oil lol. Drained 1fine quart from the intercooler alone. Hopefully within a week I wont have any smoke

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
Theres a BIG chance that theres residual oil in the system and thats what you're seeing.

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #03
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It in fact is consuming a very small amount of oil which is interesting. I put 5w20 mobil1 should i use a thicker oil? Or do I need to send the turbo back? It only consumes oil at idle but its not a ton of oil to the point where after 5 minutes you can see a noticeable amount but at idle for sure it is consuming oil but If i bounce it off the two step at full throttle for a little bit the smoke dissipates. What do you guys think I should do?

The way my oil return is now is IDEAL but before I adjusted it and made it perfect straight to the oil pan from the fitting it was basically an S.

If that caused this turbo to blow the seals immediately (is that possible?) I dont want to take it off again to ship it again. very frustrating

·
Boost Addict
2,628 Posts
I'd try the thicker weight oil. I still get some slight hazing at idle even after adding the restrictor but with this Mid-Atlantic heat I know its the thin 5w-20 oil. If I blip the throttle it goes away.

Doing research on my smoking issue I found that most turbo pros say its not the "seals" most of the time; but other issues such as to much oil pressure (you have the restrictor), improper drain (which yours looks good) or improper pressure in crankcase. I'm going to change to a thicker oil though.

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #03
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay well i will definetly try a thicker oil 10-30? or maybe 10-40?

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Yeah, dude, 5w20 is waaaay too thin to run with turbo. I run Rotella T 5w40 in my Speed3 and it's good stuff.

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #03
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok sooooooooooo my bad lol 5-20 no bueno 10w40 it is!

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Naw, 5w40 is good too.

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #03
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sending the turbo back put it on my friend srt4 and its leaking on his car aswell... shit happens I guess

1 - 18 of 18 Posts