Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening, thank you for allowing me on this FF.com forum. I have kinda trolled this forum for a long time getting information needed to fix my 02. Finally decided to join! So i have a 05 ZX4 St with 155K on it. I was thinking about boosting it. Something moderate....we are talking max 7-8 psi. I am curious, Can the duratec engine handle that boost on a stock build. I plan on adding a Oil cooler, and remote oil filter to add a qt or 2. Exhaust and injectors also. what is your honest opinion?

·
Registered
19 Posts
In my opinion, I think you'll be fine as long as you have the supporting mods. I am by no means an expert but that's what I figured from being on this forum and reading so much. I know a guy running 3 psi with a good tune on the stock engine and he's making around 200hp. Transmission wise, these trans hold up pretty well for extra power, just get a better clutch of course.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well nice thing is....my clutch is already starting to go out....so i'll be upgrading the flywheel and clutch to stage 1 or 2

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am curious about this as well. I'm planning on going a little more aggressive with the boost but have more supporting mods. I'm curious on the limitations of certain stock components, more specifically how does the stock tb hold up under boost? I know if you tighten the clamp on it to much is can mess with the blade operations so I can't imagine it won't be affected by decent internal pressure. Also stock fuel and internals, which is going to reach it's limit first?
refering to an 04 zts 2.3 pzev.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well honestly, I plan up grading my injectors and getting my ECU tuned. also plan on updating the throttle body and the air intake

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well tune and IM are a must for boost. Got my xcal through Tom with tune, his prices are more than reasonable. Also running the cossi knock off as that's pretty much the only option these days. Throttle Body there's really only the cfm from what I can see and it's no longer offered on steeda for the duratec.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah I was going to try to keep my build under 2k anyway so if I can't find a few things that ok. I've gotta figure out what this sound is on my driver's side, sounds like a bad wheel bearing or the CV shaft carrier bearing

·
Registered
29 Posts
going to be tough to get it boosted for under 2k, but if your creative and resourceful I'm sure it's doable. I started with a budget in mind but the more I did to the car the more fun it was to drive at this point budgets out the window and the goal is just to see how fast I can make it lol. I've never had a problem with the front wheel bearings only the rear, gone through a few cv's on the other hand but I buy cheap eBay axles and just get new ones whenever they start making noises lol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts