Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am posting this on the behalf of my mum she has a ford focus tdci 1.8 lx which she has owned for 5 months.Its 2004 and only has 42,000 miles.

The car was bought from a local garage not ford and has a full service history from ford up till the garage sold it to her.

The car has been fine but on sunday the car had no power on acceleration and started to smoke majorly from the exhaust,while waiting for a convenitent place to pull over the car smoked more blue white colour.
Pulled in and the smoke was so bad you could not see out of any windows and smoke was filling the cabin.

Called the rac they towed it home.

Monday called ford customer services and they advised to get the car towed to local ford dealer to investigate (this would cost 90 quid)
Rac dropped the car to lifestyle ford horsham and in the meantime ford customer services said if it is the turbo and its gone faulty for no reason they would pay anything from 5% - 100% to get it fixed.

Tuesday gets a call from ford confirming the turbo has gone and damaged the engine!!
Ford have quoted 1,000 for new turbo and 3,500 for a new engine!!!
They are not going to pay anything towards the repair and have checked the car and history and say my mum has not done anything to make the turbo go wrong and just said " well its just one of those things".

What a joke I have a focus myself which has 140,000 miles on it and the turbo hasnt blown on that!

So fords customer relations is a joke i mean who buys a car and throws it away after 4 years!

As you can tell we are livid and ford wont budge,we are thinking of taking the matter further.

I have never heard of turbos going on a car thats done such a low milage and which has been driven normal (not thrashed)

I value any support and opinions from anyone on this post.

Paul.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Very bad news. I'm not at all surprised when a turbo goes bad, even at low mileage......mostly because they run so hot, and seals go out (the smoking). But just how did it also destroy the engine? Ask for a detailed description of just what is wrong with the engine. Then post back here....

If the engine was running normal when the turbo went bad.....it's unusual the engine would fail at the exact time.

In the states, we have a way to go over the dealers head....directly to Ford customer care. I'd try that for certain....

·
Registered
789 Posts
^ i second that. i think that the dealership is trying to screw you over. i have a turbo'd car and everyone that i know who has had one that had the turbo go bad it was just the turbo that needed to be replaced.

·
( o Y o )
5,549 Posts
was your mom talking to the Ford dealership, or you? Stealerships like to victimize vulnerable women....

I 3rd calling Customer services directly. It should just be the turbo, unless in trying to find a place to pull over the car burned through all of the oil and damaged the seals/bearings/cams.

Also, did the car come with a warranty from the shop you bought it from? like a 3 month/3600mile, 5month/5000mile? I'd contact them as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
she was talking to the ford customer services in the uk,still has got knowhere with them and has now bought a re con engine and having that fitted now,and yes thats prob what happened what you say about the turbo,the local dealer has done compression test and says engine has had it.

no warrenty on the car just think its bad after only 40k!

is just bad luck i spose.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts