Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any turbo compatible with my motor? I have a 2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5L turbo I got from my friend. And even if there’s any other compatible, can yo let me know!? Thanks ?

·
Registered
179 Posts
As in straight-up bolt on compatible, or are you willing to do some custom work?

The Subaru turbo itself is okay, the target displacement is similar enough (2.5L vs. 2.0L) so the A/R will be close enough for it to produce boost.

Mounting, however could be a problem. Many OEM turbos have proprietary manifold and elbow connections for the exhaust. The Subaru turbos have an internal wastegate, so you will need to modify a Subaru elbow to fit, and you will be unable to use a standard manifold which would assume a standard turbo flange and external wastegate. You could probably have one made, but this will cost more than one from a standard kit. You'll also need to have a Subaru exhaust elbow, and then get that to the cat custom made. Intercooler piping will also need attention, but that's not much different no matter what turbo you get, unless it's a bolt-on kit with it all pre-made.

So will the turbo work? Almost certainly, but don't expect that it'll be a simple affair. Be prepared to do some work to get it connected in a way that makes sense.

Expect to spend a good chunk of coin to make it all fit.

Long run, it's probably more effective to get a standard T3 or T4 flange turbocharger and a V-band exhaust clamp system, so that you can use inexpensive manifolds and exhaust components.

·
FF Affiliate
30,672 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts