Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my names Kellen. I'm new to the Focus world as the girl that i'm now dating has a show winning hatch. I've been around the honda world for a long time with a 00 red civic coupe EXOWNZU(600whp 10sec daily driver). Now i'm trying to help her out and well i'm not sure where to begin with her focus as I have not worked on one yet.
Her car is a 2.0 Zetec with an automatic(don't laugh). As I said it's predominately a show car but she would like to give it some extra go just for some fun, not to be as serious as I was or other turbo street cars. I wasn't going to go with one of the bolt on kits, instead I was planning on piecing together a kit and just go from there. As far as the fuel setup goes I don't know what the Focus crowd normally runs with. On my Honda I was running 1000cc injectors, Aeromotive A1000 pump, fuel filter and regulator, and the hondata S200B. I was wondering what most are using to make around 200whp or more on a stock block 2.0? I have already talked to Lentech about the valve body for the tranny and they said that it would handle good power, so i'm guessing they are a good company to go with. So If I could get some help on this fuel issue and what management system would be best to go with I would really appreciate it. Anything from a simple piggy back setup to a full on standalone would be appreciated. With this new project under way i'm sure to be around more so hopefully when it's done we'll get to show it off in person or just through pics. Thanks

·
Registered
705 Posts
On my Honda I was running 1000cc injectors, Aeromotive A1000 pump, fuel filter and regulator, and the hondata S200B. I was wondering what most are using to make around 200whp or more on a stock block 2.0?
Injectors: 42 lb/hr will be plenty for your 200 whp goal
Fuel Pump, Filtel and Regulator: Stock ones are good for those power levels.
Engine Management: SCT X-Calibrator II or if you want to tune it yourself SCT Pro Race Package $380 and ~$600 respectively
I have already talked to Lentech about the valve body for the tranny and they said that it would handle good power, so i'm guessing they are a good company to go with.
Yep.

A few key notes:
- The auto tranny on our cars really take ALOT of power from the engine (ex. to get 200 whp on an ATX, you would probably be getting ~240-250 whp on a stick
- I wouldn't boost past 10 psi on a stock motor unless you have a spot-on tune

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
468 Posts
if you are only looking to get 200whp you could get a bolt on kit and turn the boost up, granted you would have to have other bolt ons to help you get there......2.5" to 3.0" exhaust, DP, no cat ect...

there are guys on here that have done well w/their automatics, but it takes more boost to hit 200whp compared to a five speed (you already know that though)

I wouldn't be surprised if you have to go w/more then 10lbs to break that w/a stock head..Ray @ Mcnews tuned some and so did Turbo Tom @ Focus Power.....you'll probably have to go w/a Lentech trans upgrade somewhere along the line like you said..

as for tuning you can go w/a Diablo Sport chip or a SCT PRP (you can do your own tuning then) or just a SCT Flasher..

not too many on here have went w/a standalone, because there really isn't a need for one w/the power that a Focus makes. I believe Turbo Tom made over 500whp w/a SCT PRP..

For injectors, you'll probably wanna go w/something above a 30#, i'd probably go w/a 42 to be safe...your fuel pump will be fine, you don't need a Boost A Pump. and you should be good to go once you get injectors.

Anyways, the only people I know of still making kits for the zetec is hiboost, xios, and roush...I'm not sure if Precision is still around...

the cost of making a kit vs. buying one is really close, why not go w/something that's already been tested.

hope that helps : )

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, you two have been a big help in a matter of minutes. I have thought about going with a bolt-on kit, from what I have laying around and with friends all i'd really end up having to do is source a decent manifold, so in the end it may be cheaper for me to just piece something together. Again, thank you for all your help. Also, where can I pick up one of the SCT X-Calibur II or PRP at, I put them both in google and they just take me to other forums.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Anyways, the only people I know of still making kits for the zetec is hiboost, xios, and roush...I'm not sure if Precision is still around...

Precision no longer makes their kit, but you might find one from a distributor who still has them in stock. Also hiboost only makes kits for the duratec engine(intake mani closer to the front bumper than exh mani.). The other two kits are for the zetec. If your girl has an SPI (SOHC, metal valve cover), you pretty much have to go custom.

the cost of making a kit vs. buying one is really close, why not go w/something that's already been tested.
It's only close when you buy QUALITY parts. Those parts are also usually better than ones in the kits, and you can design it however you want. You CAN get a better kit for the same price or a little cheaper if you know what you're doing.

·
Registered
705 Posts
If you want to run a custom setup, would you be going a tubular equal length mani or a log style?

If you want a equal length, I have a shorty header that can be easily converted to a turbo manifold with minor changes. PM me for more info.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
A lot of ppl tried doing their own setup and most of them failed just some info. If you search on this site you can find a lot of different threads for self setups. Good luck and welcome.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts