Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so last night went to the track then on the way home had some fun. But today i got on my car sounded normal at partials. At WOT the turbo does not sound the same. It sounds like it is sucking in harder.

I pulled the intake off and there is no shaft play. The wheel spins very well and i didnt hear any bearing noise. I also started it and reved it while i was over the turbo still nothing.

Anyone have any idea why this would happen?

thanks mike

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
All of my turbos tend to make more "sucking sound" after about 10psi I think its just a characteristic of the turbos.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just took the car out again. turned the boost down to 6 pounds still does it in first and second but third sounds normal. i think its in the waste gate. sounds like its not opening all the way.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Maybe check for exhaust leaks shortly after the turbo? When my EGR pipe split in two before I removed the cat, the turbo spool became much more pronounced at half-throttle.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
good call didnt even think about that. i prob snapped another trany mount at the track. that explains the wheel hop lately. with the motor moving i bet the exhaust pulled apart

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah tends to feel any and every crack in the road haha. its getting taken out in a few weeks. back to the eibachs for a few months

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so found out that i broke my VF rear dog bone. Didn't think it was possible. Ill post pictures later. But my exhaust was good....But my waste gate is not shutting all the way. That is prob where the sound is coming from. im going to take it apart and clean it see what happens

·
Registered
133 Posts
I've had all 3 VF mounts for 2 years without any issues--but if you got one of the first few hundred then they have some sort of problematic design that they addressed. Either way I'd take it out and ask them if it's covered.

If you clean it be careful, I think it has some sort of finish on it that can be taken off by conventional cleaners. I would stick to soap and water or something or check the tial website for recommendations (I figure thats probably what you have).

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
yea never herd of breaking those before...

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
that is what i said..... i have heard the stock ones breaking but not so much the VF. i also am not on the boards a lot

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
I was going to guess the waste gate as well, but I see you already found it...time for more parts, sucks about the mount, drag launch must have done it in.

·
Registered
133 Posts
If you dont have all 3 VF mounts make sure to get them. If the other 2 are stock this is the only one providing rigidity to the system so more forces are transmitted through it, which could have led to your breakage. Just a theory though.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I do have all three mounts have had them for a little while now. i wonder if they are getting old.....

here is my old one

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well i e-mailed VF last night and this is what i got in return. figured i would show you guys.

Subject: RE: focus motor mount
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 15:06:03 -0800
To: [email protected]

Hi Mike,
Based on the damage shown in the picture, I would not be able to cover this.
Our engineering dept has ruled this to be operator error as it did not fail to a manufacturing defect.
Sorry we are unable to replace this as you wished.
Thanks
-Sean

-----------------------------------
Sean Crary
Sales Manager
VF-Engineering
Made in California
714-528-0066
www.VF-Engineering.com

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Over my time on the forum I've seen a few VF mounts end up looking like that. Always the dogbone. Mine still looks good so hopefully it'll hold up

1 - 18 of 18 Posts