Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been noticing when people ask about what size turbo's they need they alway ask "do I need a .50 ar or 64ar" and so on....

The AR is nothing more than the size of the exhaust houing.... not the power capabilities of the turbo itself.

When looking at how much power you want to make you need to look at PPM (air in pounds per minute of flow)... a really neat trick I've picked up on is 1 ppm is good for around 10hp (rating wise)

Example a a turbo that flows 35 PPM is capable of 350hp ... according to how they rate turbos.

After you figure out how much FLOW you need then you need to look at AR... a smaller ar (example a .50ar) will spool faster than say a larger (.86ar) BUT usually the smaller ar will peak then start to fall off powerwise, the larger ar may take a little longer to spool but it will make more top end power. Also you need to remember that the ar is also a restriction... all of your exhaust has to flow through it.

[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]* This is just some basic info you need to think about when looking for a turbo... there are also many other factors that come into play like the ratio between the hot side wheel and the cold side wheel.[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]*

Any questions I can help you guys with???

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
so what turbos would flow about 25-30PPM?

also, do you think that a turbo with those^ flow #s would spool relativaly early and not fall off at top end to much with an ar of about .50?

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would look at turbos like the T3 super 60 or GT28r (depending on your choice of brands)

Personally I would go with a .64ar or maybe bigger... I've seen many dynos of the smaller ar and they all do the same.... they hit peak tq then immediatly start to fall off.

With a bigger ar you can hold the peak longer and when it does fall off it tends to do so at a slower rate.

·
FF Affiliate
31,089 Posts
John your opening a whole can or worms you dont really want to open

There is a reason that I dont give out many specs and help people choose turbos , It took me a long time to stop doing it , you really done want to go there

Tom

·
Registered
1,494 Posts

There is a reason that I dont give out many specs and help people choose turbos , It took me a long time to stop doing it , you really done want to go there

Tom
That's what this forum is for is it not?

·
Registered
80 Posts
WTF are you serious. tom i respect you but god damn whats the point of a forum if not to share information, help each other, and educate one another. thats how you build a community.

yea your going to get some annoying people that dont know what even a wastegate does but for the majority of people that want to learn the information should be accessable. teaching the focus community to inspire creativity and new ways of doing things.

damn your a tyrant.

·
FF Affiliate
31,089 Posts
Thats all well and good , To say a t3 s60 stg3 turbo is what your need for your Focus isnt something that can come from reading a forum , The Zetec isnt like most engines in how it responds to boost

Teaching people what the diff numbers are and PPM is all well and good , but what if those # dont apply to the Focus they way they do other 4 cyl engines , so you learn a lot of this stuff , buy a turbo to find out it wont make the power you wanted , many will come back here and , well you guys said if this and this was here that this turbo would make the power I wanted

There may be 5 people on here that can read a turbo graph and maybe 2-3 that actually understand what there reading

Then you get into custom turbos that with the Zetec throw a lot of sence out the window , picking a turbo isnt something your going to learn from a forum it is like tuning and something that takes years of building boosted engines on a dyno to learn what the numbers mean and do

Then you get into HP ratings and those are commercial HP ratings # and have little to do with the actual HP the turbo will make from one build to another let alone one engine to another

Tom

·
Registered
798 Posts
hmm... so I guess that the Garrett/AiResearch T3 Turbo from the 1985 Turbo Coupe I bought not too long ago wouldn't be worth it then. Well... It will be worth it considering that I will be replacing the smaller IHI turbo. Here are the specs:

IHI - .42/.48 A/R
Garrett - .63/.60 A/R

My IHI has Instant boost off the line and gives out after 4000K. Any chance the Garrett will hold up to my 2.3L thru the RPM's?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Just so you guys know, the initial post was from December of LAST YEAR!!!!

·
70 100 70 70 : (
1,977 Posts
6 months ago, not that bad.. i have revived 2 year old threads :p, i think its all good, but i agree with kamik, this need to be more like " this is an apple", sometimes i just dont understand things, i have searched and they explain "this is a fruit" instead of "this a sweet apple".

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
I think the information is good, i'm always trying to learn turbo's and all the lingo, i have a base knowledge but thats about it. I can see where Tom is comming from, but we should just take it for what its worth, and not base our decisisons solely on this thread, i say keep up the info, just don't necessarily base it for our foci knowledge.

·
Premium Member
5,279 Posts

Tom
That's what this forum is for is it not?
WTF are you serious. tom i respect you but god damn whats the point of a forum if not to share information, help each other, and educate one another. thats how you build a community.

yea your going to get some annoying people that dont know what even a wastegate does but for the majority of people that want to learn the information should be accessable. teaching the focus community to inspire creativity and new ways of doing things.

damn your a tyrant.
Thats all well and good , To say a t3 s60 stg3 turbo is what your need for your Focus isnt something that can come from reading a forum , The Zetec isnt like most engines in how it responds to boost

Teaching people what the diff numbers are and PPM is all well and good , but what if those # dont apply to the Focus they way they do other 4 cyl engines , so you learn a lot of this stuff , buy a turbo to find out it wont make the power you wanted , many will come back here and , well you guys said if this and this was here that this turbo would make the power I wanted

There may be 5 people on here that can read a turbo graph and maybe 2-3 that actually understand what there reading

Then you get into custom turbos that with the Zetec throw a lot of sence out the window , picking a turbo isnt something your going to learn from a forum it is like tuning and something that takes years of building boosted engines on a dyno to learn what the numbers mean and do

Then you get into HP ratings and those are commercial HP ratings # and have little to do with the actual HP the turbo will make from one build to another let alone one engine to another

Tom
I agree with both sides of the party. A forum is for information and community. It is true that different engines work better with different turbos, even of the same displacement and ar, however that doesn't mean the info can't be out there for everyone to learn. I enjoy reading threads like this, not because I wanna know what size ar is gonna best suit me. I already have a Garrett GT28R, I could give a shit less, but I am a boost freak so when any possible information for boost in general is out there, I seek it. It's nice being able to get all my sources of info on one forum rather then having to go to 3 or 4 different forums to gather all my information.

Besides, if you don't put info out there, people are just gonna search for it elsewhere, and then they really get the wrong idea.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I respect Toms information to the highest degree. At the same time I am trying to spend a butt-load of money on something in case I end up backing out or something else fails. As for the SVO turbo I didn't think it would have been that bad of an idea.... I will take your word for it Tom... I will use it for now until I can get my turbo running smoothly, then I will change it out. Got to make sure everything works first.

Also, My charge piping looks like a frankenstein project. I have silicon couplers every foor or so. I had to cut up a universal kit to make mine work. I keep blowing off the coupler though... I do have quality t-bolt clamps. I am considering having a weld shop weld the up. Any input Tom...

Sorry for the thread jack 03OrangeSVT

·
Premium Member
5,279 Posts
The duratec 2.3 looooooves the Garrett GT2871R and vice versa. Just a FYI.

·
FF Affiliate
31,089 Posts
I respect Toms information to the highest degree. At the same time I am trying to spend a butt-load of money on something in case I end up backing out or something else fails. As for the SVO turbo I didn't think it would have been that bad of an idea.... I will take your word for it Tom... I will use it for now until I can get my turbo running smoothly, then I will change it out. Got to make sure everything works first.

Also, My charge piping looks like a frankenstein project. I have silicon couplers every foor or so. I had to cut up a universal kit to make mine work. I keep blowing off the coupler though... I do have quality t-bolt clamps. I am considering having a weld shop weld the up. Any input Tom...

Sorry for the thread jack 03OrangeSVT
I am sure you ment to say your NOT trying to spend a butt load of money

I dont like t-bolt clamps , I have seen cut hoses , crushed piping from them , if the piping is clean and you use good clamps regular worm clamps will hold 35psi

Best to take your car to who can do the piping and say , Here it is and how I want it and they should be able to do the piping

Tom

1 - 20 of 47 Posts