Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I am saving up for the FSW stage 2 kit for my 09 sedan and I know that the FSW tune just turns off one of the O2 sensors but in IL they do an OBDII test for emissions and wont I automatically fail if I have an O2 sensor turned off?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
177 Posts
To my knowledge, whenever one of the O2 sensors gets turned off in a tune, the status will show it as not ready. So I would have to say that you would not pass.

My recommendation would be to get someone like Tom to create a tune for you with the 2nd O2 sensor turned on, but you would also need to have a cat (preferably hi-flo) welded into the downpipe along with a bung for the 2nd O2, otherwise it will just make the CEL come on, which will also cause you to fail inspection.

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
I think its the same thing in CT where I live. The guy said it doesnt check for readings on anything, just to see if the sensor is "ready". I guess turning off the sensor tells the computer that everything is OK (no CEL) and as far as the OBD2 test is concerned its good.

Just passed with a header here, one o2 turned off too.

·
Registered
177 Posts
That's pretty much my point. In some strict states like CA they will test specifically to see if the O2 says ready, if they see it says "not ready" or they can't find a response for it (such as with a tune) you will fail.

Other states may not care so much and are simply looking for any error codes that would trigger the CEL. In those states whatever they can't see, wont hurt you.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not really sure what the conclusion is then. Buick boy said he passed the OBDII test with one of the O2 sensors turned off and megax36 said if I have a tune and have one of the O2 sensors turned off, I will fail. Which is it?

·
Registered
177 Posts
The conclusion is it depends on what state you live in.

Some simply do the OBDII test to make sure that there are no error codes and that the CEL is functionning properly. If you live in such a state, you will pass doing what I suggested earlier.

If you live in a strict state like CA, they may "take extra care" to search for responses from ALL the O2 sensors on the vehicle, and if they get no response from it or it says "not ready" you will fail.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Do they plug into your car with the computer and scan it during the inspection? If so assume that it will not pass with it turned off.

My question to you is, if a turned off o2 may fail you, how do you get away with adding a whole turbo system? If your state is really that strict I can't imagen the turbo itslf is going to pass.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Every state that does the OBDII test will plug the scanner into your OBDII port. However if they are only looking for error codes the disabled sensor will NOT give an error code, it will just show up as "not ready" or wont be listed for viewing at all.

As for your second question...BINGO, in such strict states you can't!!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
It may also depend on the age of the car, in my case (2003 ZX3), I was able to pass with just a "CEL" check in 2009, but in 2011, they looked deeper for the monitor status, and I failed miserably. It's also more than just the 2nd O2, things like air injection and other monitors may be turned off as well. I have a PZEV car, and there were 7 monitors turned off!

Ultimately, I had to install a cat downstream of the turbo and the 2nd and 3rd O2 sensors (PZEV has 3). I also plumbed the air injection into the turbo downpipe. It was a lot of work, and probably has to be DIY, since a legit exhaust shop won't touch an aftermarket cat.

So it can be done, just be prepared.

·
Registered
177 Posts
You hit the nail on the head GreggPDX.

Some states such as CA also do a visual inspection to check for cats, egr, pcv etc.

So basically if one is willing to spend enough money to get two hi-flow cats along with the bungs needed for the O2 sensors to replace the factory ones, and are able to get a tune that keeps all your sensors enabled and working in harmony with your turbo...you can pass.

But as GreggPDX pointed out, there will be a bit of customization/fabrication that has to be done on your part, as there is currently no manufacturer that makes a CARB legal turbo kit for foci.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I'm in somewhat of a similar situation. I'm thinking I'm gonna have a tune written with the rear O2 turned on then have an o2 cheater.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
With a tune from Tom, you will be good to go. No problems ..In Illinois , all they check is for an active CEL.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
i wish my emissions was obd only. we get a visual (most shops skip this if you pass the sniffer),check for CEL and put your car on a dyno and do a idle and cruising sniffer on it.

this has to be done ever 2 years. for some odd reason i haven't had to do it since 07 when i bought the car, so maybe ill luck out and they forgot me.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
i wish my emissions was obd only. we get a visual (most shops skip this if you pass the sniffer),check for CEL and put your car on a dyno and do a idle and cruising sniffer on it.

this has to be done ever 2 years. for some odd reason i haven't had to do it since 07 when i bought the car, so maybe ill luck out and they forgot me.
They were doing that here also. But the guys that they had doing the dyno runs. Ruined so many engines , probably from over heating them , they stopped. I had a 94 Jeep grand Cherokee, full time all wheel drive. I took it in for the test. This kid is strapping it down , on a 2 wheel dyno. So I watch him get it all done. ( I should of let him go all the way ) so I ask what he thought would happen when he started to drive .. that was the last time they had the dyno test , atleast where I live. LOL

·
TURBO ZX3
8,746 Posts
Here in washington I passed with an orp and svt header and rear o2 turned off. They checked obd and kept th car at 25mph for like a minute with a sniffer in it I believe and I passed

1 - 15 of 15 Posts