Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 focus w/ the spi motor. im getting really crappy mileage about 18-20 miles a gallon. i was wondering why its so bad, its always been bad. i hear others saying that they get this kind of mileage but i hear others gettin 25+ miles to the gallon. i dont drive like a grandma but im not constantly driving fast.

what can i do to fix this? do i need to change spark plugs, change the fuel filter, clean my air filter out? what else can i do?

·
Registered
818 Posts
A new O2 sensor might help. How many miles are on the car? New plugs and wires cant hurt, but dont get your hopes up. DO you have a 500lb system or drive with low tire pressure?

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Check, clean or replace your MAF sensor, for starters. The SPI is a mileage motor, you should be able to get 350 miles from a tank. I can think of a guy in Ontario that gets 700 km (420 miles) out of a tank of gas. (Maybe it was over 600 klicks; let me look into that)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have about 33,000 miles on my car. i dont drive w/ low tire pressure and i have a system but its small.

also how do i clean my MAF sensor? how much does a new o2 sensor cost?

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
Air filter, fuel filter, plugs/wires, change the oil, I belive there are more but i just cant think of them.

·
GreyRice WOoT!
10,786 Posts
^^^yuppers those are good, you can always get a tune from wayne for mileage increase as well, or new O2 sensor might help dunno tho, never had a problem with mine

1 - 6 of 6 Posts