Focus Fanatics Forum banner

201 - 220 of 3156 Posts

·
The Professor
2,664 Posts
I wasn't going to mention anything, but since you said this, I thought I would point this out.

Something that is slightly misleading about this graph is the pull with the tune started about 500rpms sooner. The difference you're seeing at 2,500rpms isn't the increase in hp/tq as much as the ramp up of the graph.

You will not be gaining 60lb/ft of tq at 2,500 rpms with this tune. Once again, the graph is the by-product of two dyno pulls being started at different rpms and the dyno ramp up.

When you don't start the pulls at the same rpms, you'll see discrepancies like this.

Really what I see here is a gain roughly of 5hp/tq over the powerband. At this point, not much to say until you can see what is capable with more variables.

I was too excited to see the across the board gains to notice this. [rofl] Nice catch. [:D]

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I wasn't going to mention anything, but since you said this, I thought I would point this out.

Something that is slightly misleading about this graph is the pull with the tune started about 500rpms sooner. The difference you're seeing at 2,500rpms isn't the increase in hp/tq as much as the ramp up of the graph.

You will not be gaining 60lb/ft of tq at 2,500 rpms with this tune. Once again, the graph is the by-product of two dyno pulls being started at different rpms and the dyno ramp up.

When you don't start the pulls at the same rpms, you'll see discrepancies like this.

Really what I see here is a gain roughly of 5hp/tq over the powerband. At this point, not much to say until you can see what is capable with more variables.
My mistake then. Still, more torque over most of the rev range is only a good thing.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I agree. Gains of 5-10 horsepower and torque across the entire powerband is very good for a little NA 2.0.
I'm really not trying to poo poo what they've got going here... but 5lb/ft of tq won't really be noticed by the butt dyno. Just trying to help keep things in perspective.

It's nice that someone is paying some attention to this platform, and I'm sure once higher octane tunes with more modifications are in play, things will look more promising.

·
Something goes here
8,280 Posts
Considering that's being done on a stock car running 87 octane its not that bad either.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2

·
Registered
684 Posts
Considering that's being done on a stock car running 87 octane its not that bad either.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2
I wouldn't call their results bad at all... I'm just trying to help those who are maybe slightly less experienced with results vs seat of the pants.

Typically anything in the 5hp/tq range is pretty negligible. It sounds like these guys have been trying to keep as many variables consistent as possible, but that's just how it is.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I wouldn't call their results bad at all... I'm just trying to help those who are maybe slightly less experienced with results vs seat of the pants.

Typically anything in the 5hp/tq range is pretty negligible. It sounds like these guys have been trying to keep as many variables consistent as possible, but that's just how it is.
Well I know they would of gotten much bigger numbers if they had done a cooler run instead of at 200 degrees.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
Hi Aron

I'm Been following this Thread with some interest.

I'm also supprised to see the screen shots ATI, PT[:)][:)][:)]* and most likely MS** being used.

I have also been playing with the 2012 Focus calibrations, but looks like you have made more progress than I, as i am missing one part of the puzzel.

I'm interested in knowing what device you will be offering to the end user.?
I was thinking along the lines of using a drewtech device.

Keep up the good work
Matt
The devise info will be released in the coming weeks. All of those particulars are being worked out as I type this.

·
FF Affiliate
30,369 Posts
Hi Aron

I'm Been following this Thread with some interest.

I'm also supprised to see the screen shots ATI, PT[:)][:)][:)]* and most likely MS** being used.

I have also been playing with the 2012 Focus calibrations, but looks like you have made more progress than I, as i am missing one part of the puzzel.

I'm interested in knowing what device you will be offering to the end user.?
I was thinking along the lines of using a drewtech device.

Keep up the good work
Matt

Matt are you talking about the CarDAQ-Plus unit ? I was also surprised to see the screen shots of the ATI

Tom

·
Registered
494 Posts
Aron, how do I get on a pre order list,

Ps I have a 5spd and run 93 only, I'm excited and want to see this happen.
Do you think you guys might do a program app to use a tablet to help tune and pull all data available for logging?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm going to wait for the final results and price to be released before I pull the trigger. If I can't get over the 200hp mark with an CAI, header, exhaust & this then I'm not going to mod the car powerwise.

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #00
13,505 Posts

·
Banned
12,313 Posts

·
The Professor
2,664 Posts
I'm really not trying to poo poo what they've got going here... but 5lb/ft of tq won't really be noticed by the butt dyno. Just trying to help keep things in perspective.

It's nice that someone is paying some attention to this platform, and I'm sure once higher octane tunes with more modifications are in play, things will look more promising.

Maybe not the butt dyno, but in terms of drivability it WILL be felt. We are dealing with a 2.0 liter 4cyl here, not a Mustang Coyote 5.0 V8. 5-10 is a big deal for this little guy with no other mods and on low octane (though I would not expect much more with 93 [maybe 2-3 more, but I could be wrong]).

I am keeping things in perspective and understand the gains shown for what they are. Sure 5-10 is a drop in the bucket for most, but considering what they have to work with, I see it as being very good. Especially across the entire curve. If it was just at the peaks, then not so much (although we do not see much at the peaks here in HP but instead in TQ, but the curve is really what matters).

Now it just needs to be repeatable.

There is no way you will see a 20+ whp or 20+ wtq gain with just a tune on this little motor. No way. That is getting into the realm of large N/A performance motors with just a tune. I'm talking V8s here. Now with supporting mods, I see around 20 being easily possible. Thus with exhaust, header, and intake mods (either a CAI or homegrown) I see 200 whp an achievable target. I seriously doubt any more than that is possible. Again, I would like to be proven wrong though.

·
The Professor
2,664 Posts
And I will say it again, I could care less if we get 0 gain or even just the 5-10 gain we see now if they can improve the operation of the DCT. That will be why I buy this tuner.

·
Banned
12,313 Posts
Right!!!!
Maybe not the butt dyno, but in terms of drivability it WILL be felt. We are dealing with a 2.0 liter 4cyl here, not a Mustang Coyote 5.0 V8. 5-10 is a big deal for this little guy with no other mods.

I am keeping things in perspective and understand the gains shown for what they are. Sure 5-10 is a drop in the bucket for most, but considering what they have to work with, I see it as being very good. Especially across the entire curve. If it was just at the peaks, then not so much.

Now it just needs to be repeatable.

There is no way you will see a 20+ whp or 20+ wtq gain with just a tune on this little motor. No way. That is getting into the realm of large N/A performance motors with just a tune. I'm talking V8s here. Now with supporting mods, I see around 20 being easily possible.
I was meaning with other mods, exhaust, CAI, maybe intake, I can see 200 pretty easy

God, I hope not. I just saw the price of the unit alone. Almost $1700!
[ohcrap] ouch

201 - 220 of 3156 Posts