Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tom, are you able to tune a true "custom" boost setup?

I have a Vortech kit on my car. However, I have converted it to blow-thru MAF and added a FMIC in the kit. I have 2.5" piping and will be purchasing a 3" MAF tube from you shortly.

The FMIC setup will be real similar to this one:

http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f174/Zeteczx3/Vortech Superchargers/

However, I am going to run my cold side pipe pretty much identical to your turbo kit:

In review:

1. Would you be able to tune my "custom" Vortech setup? It's essentually just like your turbo kit, except belt driven.
2. Does any of the above change if I were to also have nitrous on the car? (50 shot)
3. If yes to #1, what are your fees like?
4. Does the BOV placement on pictured turbo SVT cause ANY problems at all with the MAF? I have heard about the BOV being so close to the MAF causing turbulence problems, and consequently rich "hits" during shifts and bogging. I am running a Greddy Type RS.
5. How much is the 3" MAF tube?

If I am forgetting something please feel free to chime in.

Thanks!

·
FF Affiliate
30,935 Posts
I see no problem in tuning it as long as the MAF is placed correctly , the BOV needs about 6 to 8 inches from the MAF and you should be ok

I charge 350.00 to tune a SVT if you have the Predator already , if not i would look into the SCT PRP

Tom

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

I will look into the PRP since I already have an Xcal II. How much is the 3" MAF tube that you sell?

I will be completing the car then trying to save money to get it tuned.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again.

Upon further review of that SVT-T picture, I see that a hose is attached to the PCV valve. Where exactly does it go to? A catchcan, to the intake manifold, catchcan then intake, where?

I have a boost friendly PCV valve and a breather on the valve cover - when I hit boost oils POURS out the valve cover all over my coilpack, fusebox, etc.

·
FF Affiliate
30,935 Posts
I run the valve cover hose and the PCV both to the ground , your breather is the problem it holds and traps oil why cruising then when you go WOT it sprays it all out all over , you will find less oil gets out of the engine with a hose

Tom

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok Tom, more questions for you.

I'll start with a picture of my intercooler:

Both the inlet and the outlet on it are 3" in diameter. I know that 2.5" piping is plenty to carry the power levels I will be seeing, but what would the benefits/problems of going to 3" piping being? I was thinking about just doing 3" charge piping since the IC has those sizes.

In doing so I would buy a flange from CFM in which would place the MAF inline of the charge piping. It would be identical to the picture in the first post, with the exception of the MAF being in a different tube. Would this cause any tune problems? The MAF would still be in a 3" tube, but I don't know if it has to be a different size than surrounding charge piping.

Also, how do you plug the old pcv->intake manifold line on the SVTs? I recently ran my PCV to the ground with a hose per your instructions, but I am having trouble finding the best way to plug the connection so I do not get a vacuum leak.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I use vacuum hose caps (got them at NAPA). They work like a charm. Make sure you get two for a 5/8" hose (the PCV hose is 3/8, but it turns into a 5/8 where it connects to the manifold).

Now all that I am missing is a SC or Turbo, lol.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tom, I have a hose on both my PCV valve and valve cover now. I also fixed my vacuum leak.

Oil is still POURING out of the valve cover hose. I can see a trail of oil where the hose spits it on the ground. Also, when idling you can physically see stuff shooting out of the hose. It resembles steam. There was enough pressure from the valve cover to physically shoot the hose off.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Someone told me it could be because my PCV valve is not opening properly under vacuum. Is this true? They also said that my PCV could not be closing under boost, hence the spraying oil.

I'll copy our conversation from earlier incase he said anything that you would understand that flew over my head.

(6:10:45 PM): if you're shooting the hose off then you have possitive crankcrase pressure and that's not good

(6:16:41 PM): well you're talking about pressure in the valve cover.....
(6:16:52 PM): it should NEVER see anything except vaccum

(6:19:50 PM): the pcv valve line should go to the manifold somewhere and have a catchcan on it if alot of oil comes through there.....the other line should have either a filter on it or just hook up right after the intake filter but before the s/c

I then show him a picture explaining how I ran both the PCV and valve cover to the ground via long hoses per your instructions.
(6:25:06 PM): well that's far from optimal or even working right......the optimal way is to have a catch can on the pcv line and have it hooked back to the mani and the side one runnign it down is fine but i'd put a filter on it
2.0TooSlow (6:26:02 PM): what purpose does the filter serve other than holding oil?
(6:26:21 PM): keeping dirt out of your engine
(6:26:41 PM): when the pcv valve opens and creats vaccum in the cover it sucks the air in from the side port
(6:27:33 PM): the setup he's telling you to use works....but you're introducing dirt into the engine without a filter
2.0TooSlow (6:27:35 PM): pcv valve is only open when not under boost and in vacuum right?
(6:28:25 PM): yes...but pvc valve can't open if it's not hooked up...not a big deal...but it does releave presure from teh valvecover and pull fumes out
2.0TooSlow (6:29:13 PM): so if the valve cover is not sucking through the hose at idle......
2.0TooSlow (6:29:18 PM): then my pcv valve is not sealing?
(6:29:40 PM): no...it's not opening

1 - 11 of 11 Posts