Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
FF Affiliate
31,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the high Temps we have been seeing there is a few things you can do to help the performance/safety of your Focus , When adding a Performance tune to your Focus

The big thing is when using the SRI you dont get any cool air under the hood from outside , i have seen the IAT reach 165 Deg on a NA engine , this will cause deto and that is a bad thing even tho the UCE is programed to take timing out it isnt adjusted for the SRI and if you do it just kills the power

Do anything you can to get cool air to the filter

Change your thurmostat to a 180 (96 contour 2.0 Zetec ) is the same as our for both the ZX3 and the SVT , in most cases this lowers the engine temp by 8 to 10 deg helping to curb deto

Make sure in your tune your fans are being turned on at a lower setting for the cooler thurmo

deto sounds like a few marbles being shaked in a tin can , if you hear this let off ASAP

Tom

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
hey tom, do you think removing that weather stripping just below the wiper blades help let a bit of that hot air out? someone from FF removed there's, i just dont remember who.

im nervous about upgrading to a cold air system because of the rain

·
Mtn. Dew
7,223 Posts
Ray at Mcnews datalogged my wifes car with the Cervinis Mach V hood on it. Sitting still the IAT's went from around 65 to 118 in a matter of a few minutes. That was with the Volant intake. On a really hot day I'm sure it would have went way higher.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Thanks Tom, I think this can help out a lot of people. This freaking heat wave is crazy!!!!!!

At least we (Miami) have not been hit by a hurricane .........yet (knocks on simulated wood desk in office).......

If anyone has ANY ideas on how to shove cool air into a SRI, please post.

·
Registered
549 Posts
well i know someone on here had attached a vacuum hose (off a wet vac) to the end of a dual cone filter and ran it down behind the fog light.almost a homemade pipercross system.lemme see if i can find it.

·
Registered
199 Posts
God i love my FocusCentral hood!!

·
Banned
1,924 Posts
Can i see it?[rolleyes]

And does it came sonic blue[:p] ?

I like the Saleen hood.I wonder if it's the same blue color.[}:)] I bet this is a pain to paint.[8]

·
Registered
891 Posts
^^Saleen hood? I think it is just a scoop that they molded into it and cut the hood to make it useable..

I got CAI and have no problems, just have to watch out for the deep water puddles and you will be find. If all else fails, just get the bypass piece that connects into the tube.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
ya this issue really sucks especially cuz here in pittsburgh its gonna be 110 with the heat index ehhhhh

·
Registered
891 Posts
110 with heat index, well welcome to Texas. All summer its like that here. That is why i went from a SRI to a CAI cause i could just feel the power loss with the heat here.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Just in case anyone is interested, this is what I rigged up yesterday to get cooler air into my SRI. I'm going to "test" it today with the help of a hair dryer. Drove it to my girl's house and back (30 miles total) at speeds up to 75 mph and it holds on well (love them zip-ties).

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
ive got the vis racing evo III hood,with the vent right over the intake, and two vents over the engine. i think my IATS were around 185.

this is using the xcal II datalogging on my laptop. does that seem to high ?

·
Registered
511 Posts
WHAT!!!!!! With ambient at 90, at idle my IAT is 135-150 (after like 5 minutes of not going anywhere- 105-110 at a traffic light). As soon as I start driving, the temp drops and now it's 1-3 degrees above ambient.

I hope that temp (185) was at idle and not while cruising.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts