Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I know that pretty much everything in this thread is a repost, however I'm in class and don't really have the opportunity to search for answers. Also, I thought it would be nice to have all of the tuning info that is necessary for new SVT owners (like myself) to learn about the stock tunes and such.

From what I've read, the '02-'03 SVT's have a terrible RLA6 flash on their ECU and the '04 models have a slightly better (but still not good) ZED0 flash. Also, it seems like the relatively common high-idle and hanging revs are rooted in these wonderful factory tunes that Ford gave us.

In case you can't tell, I have the high-idle and hanging revs and it's been driving me mad since I bought the car in June. I'm assuming my car still has the RLA6, but I haven't checked the PCM yet. My first question: is there a way to tell if the stock PCM flash has been updated? I'm assuming that if Ford did a reflash, the PCM would still have the original sticker saying RLA6. Can the XcalII from my ZX3 (still locked) read what tune is on the SVT?

If everyone does reply with answers/links to other threads, I'll update this first post with links to the relevant tuning threads. Here's a good first one:

That pretty much concludes all of my stock flash questions. Next up, I've got a few as far as aftermarket tunes go. I know the two main tuning devices for us are the Xcal (now III) and the Predator. Any advantage to either one? I know for my ZX3 I went with the Xcal, as it was pretty much accepted as the best one out there (I know it depends on the tuner, but just comparing devices and available tuners, I remember the Xcal being more popular). If the Xcal still reigns as King, I have a XcallII still, but it's locked to my ZX3. I could get it unlocked and then use it on my SVT, or does the XcalIII actually add some decent features worth the extra money?

Lastly, as a side note. My XcalII will not read CEL codes from my SVT. It's got no problem pulling them from my old car, but it will not read the SVT at all? Is that common? On the trip to FocusFest, I through a code and had to borrow a tuner to read it. I ended up having to hunt down a Predator, as even the Xcal's that were loaded with an SVT tune wouldn't read the code. They gave the same error as mine does. Any ideas?

Sorry for the long post, but if everyone answers these questions in this thread, or even links to relevant threads, it should serve as a great resource to fellow SVT n00bs in the future.

PS-If this thread ends up with a bunch of links to relevant threads, I'll keep this first post updated with those links. Here's a good first one:

User Reviews of Tunes/Tuners

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
well first, the 02's and early 03's have a ZED0 tune. the later 03's and the '04's have the YRF0 tune. RLA6 is the ECU code.

many stealerships place a placard on the radiator support to tell you the ECU has been updated. mine is an early '03 and had a ZED0 tune. it was updated a months after the initial purchase.

i dont think non-SVT XCals can read SVT ECU's. its strange that the other person's XCal didnt read it even though he is SVT. my predator doesnt have any problems reading my codes. sometimes. there are times where i believe that it doesnt read them as soon as they appear. thats just me though

·
Registered
720 Posts
There are a total of 11 US SVT flashes and they all are interchangeable (you can flash any year SVT with any of the codes.) They all have issues from ford. I am not sure why they could not get things right. 11 revisions on a car that was only made for 3 years with no engine changes shows you they tried but failed miserably.

Using an Xcal2 you can do a read strategy and that will tell you what the car is currently flashed with (it will give you the 7 digit hex name but if you post that I can tell you what it is.)

The xcal should be able to read dtc's on any ford obdII vehicle. The devices are not vehicle or svt specific. What was the error you received and what is the firmware revision on your xcal2?

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Firware revision is 1.10
Hex for flash code is UJAHAS5

I don't have any DTC's right now, but it seems to be letting me do more than before. Before, I'd hit read DTC/Clear DTC and it would give me an error right away (don't remember exactly what it was). Now, it says no DTC found and DTCs cleared, so maybe it was just in a bad mood the last time I tried to use it.

On a side note, what does "4 changes left" under Device Info mean?

·
FF Affiliate
30,935 Posts
The Diablo and the SCT are both flashing tools,In my opinion past that point it comes down to the ability of the tuner

I feel I have the best SVT out there and have been tuning the SVT sence late 2002 far longer then most other tuners , I also own a SVT Focus and know all the issues with it and worked hard over the years to address the issues with out hurting the safety or reliability or MPG

Tom

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^^^Tom...I'm planning on going with you for tuning, I just don't know when I'll be doing it yet. College likes to drain my bank account more often than I'd like it to....I was just looking for more info on the Predator/Xcal and stock tunes. Is the XcalIII worth the money or is the II still "good enough."

By the way, remember the people at FocusFest that borrowed your big lead pipe to beat their tent stakes into the ground? That was me and my buddy. Thanks again for that.....I think we'd have been chasing out tent all over the track otherwise....

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
well first, the 02's and early 03's have a ZED0 tune. the later 03's and the '04's have the YRF0 tune. RLA6 is the ECU code.
I'm pretty sure that Pkmgarf has the ECU codes correct.
In fact, there was even an RLA1 that was updated with an RLA6 flash for really early models.
I know my 04 has ZED0 written right on the ECU from the factory.
A quick search will show that RLA6 was in fact on the older cars, and YRF0 was the update for 02 and 03 models.
Here's the thread about the YRF0 update:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1116

My XcalII will not read CEL codes from my SVT.
We have an XCalII for my wife's Escape.
It reads/clears codes no problem on my SVTF, and it's locked to her car.
We've had it for almost 2 years now, if that makes a difference or not.

·
FF Affiliate
30,935 Posts
^^^Tom...I'm planning on going with you for tuning, I just don't know when I'll be doing it yet. College likes to drain my bank account more often than I'd like it to....I was just looking for more info on the Predator/Xcal and stock tunes. Is the XcalIII worth the money or is the II still "good enough."

By the way, remember the people at FocusFest that borrowed your big lead pipe to beat their tent stakes into the ground? That was me and my buddy. Thanks again for that.....I think we'd have been chasing out tent all over the track otherwise....
The II will do just as good a job putting the tune into the car as the III the III just has more things it will do after the tune is installed

Glad I could help with your tent

Tom

·
Registered
385 Posts
Overall which programer do you suggest? I was looking into buying one and cant decide which one would be a better buy?

·
FF Affiliate
30,935 Posts
Stop looking at what flasher (Predator vs Xcal III) is the better deal and look at the tuner , both the Diablo and the SCT do basicly the same job

My Diablo Predator comes with my custom tune and free updates as you mod your SVT for 375.00 and 20.00 for shipping

Tom

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Yep.
RLA6 was the latest flash at the time.
YRF0 wasn't out yet, and would be the "reflash" for the 03 models that came with RLA6.

ZED0 is definitely unique to 04 models, as you can't flash it (well, the Dealer can't) on earlier modules.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
The RLAx series is the Flash for the 02-03 SVT's that was later upgraded to YRF0, the 04 SVTs are ZED0 flashes.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So, if I wanted a dealer to reflash my ECU to YRFO (for now, until I can get enough spare cash together for a tune), how much do you think they would charge and would it even be worth it?

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
Its around $80, if your not having any issues now I would just wait for a tune... the ONLY difference I saw from getting mine flashed (way back when) was the DSI opened a little sooner... and that was all.

·
Registered
400 Posts
$80 isn't the tune thats a "simple" or "basic" reflash from a dealer not a tune by any means its just a different year or time's ECU tuning and one or another is supposed to better as they were improved....

Andrew

·
Registered
385 Posts
So ok. Skip getting it flashed from the factory and get a programer. which one do you guys suggest if they do the same thing. Cause i have an 02' and i didnt know what i should do?

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you read through the posts earlier in this thread, Tom already addressed the two different flashers available (Predator and Xcal). Basically, they both do the same functions and will both perform just as well. The main thing is getting it tuned by a reputable and knowledgeable tuner.

Snapinex - The tuner itself, loaded with a base tune, costs around $400. A custom tune would require you to purchase the tuner and then pay for dyno time. As others have said, the $80 is a fee that a dealer would charge for about five minutes worth of work to flash the ECU with an updated tune file, which is by no means equivalent to a good tune.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts