Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Do any of the available tunes have any noticeable improvement in throttle response? I'm not hurting for more power in this car (but I wouldn't mind it!) since it's just my daily and I have sports cars, but the one thing that really kills the driving experience the most is the atrocious, slow throttle response and terrible rev hang. My car is running properly, but I'm used to my Miata which has fantastically quick response (throttle cable > computer). I know the focus will never be as good due to its ridiculously heavy flywheel, but there is a ton of room for improvement. Anybody know how much better the aftermarket tunes makes this?

edit: I've added the throttle body grounds already

w/ my magic bag
Have you thought about a tune? Reflash the pcm......

Registered
Did this ever go anywhere with a new tune for a stock engine?

Is a special device needed to do the flash?
Looking for a step by step, but have not found it so far.

FF Affiliate
Yes you would need the xcal4 flasher

I sell the xcal4 , full custom tune , free life time tune updates as you add more NA mods , datalogging services , no hidden fees and shipping for 462.00

No other Focus Tuner offers anything close to this

When you receive your xcal4 you will email me some info , I will then make you a base tune file and email that to you will links and info to load it to your xcal then to your Focus , then we do some datalogging to fine tune your base tune to a custom tune

Tom

Registered
$462 is roughly 10% of what we paid for the car, and for an engine that is not
modified and we don't plan to extensively modify it doesn't make sense for us.
I thought I saw $150, I think without the xcal4 so if there was a loaner, or a
group buy of one xcal4 unit to share that might make more sense.
I'd pay $150 for better throttle response and a bit more power.

Will the engine take advantage of premium fuel stock? That and a freer flowing
air filter would probably be the only improvements.

Old Phart
XCal can only tune one car at a time, stock tune is stored in it while a tune is in the car it's 'married' to at the time.

That's about right for the tuning charge alone if you have a flasher already, occasionally there are deals on used ones but you need to be sure it's got uses remaining and isn't left 'married' to be unusable. (expensive to get unlocked, only avail. for current types)

MkII doesn't have the stock compression for premium to be a notable improvement, unlike you may have seen mentioned for the MkIII.

Old Phart
Two reasons for it, first is the obvious of selling a tool to everyone wanting a tune.

Second less appreciated one, it guarantees any owner using it has their stock tune avail. for return to their particular stock configuration.

Registered
Yes you would need the xcal4 flasher

I sell the xcal4 , full custom tune , free life time tune updates as you add more NA mods , datalogging services , no hidden fees and shipping for 462.00

No other Focus Tuner offers anything close to this

When you receive your xcal4 you will email me some info , I will then make you a base tune file and email that to you will links and info to load it to your xcal then to your Focus , then we do some datalogging to fine tune your base tune to a custom tune

Tom

Tom, I have a 2008 SES PZEV. All stock everything, (even the crappy lifetime air filter box). Is that xcal4 compatible with my vehicle and what are the benefits is I purchase it? I've done a lot of work maintaining my focus because I bought it brand new. Now I'm looking into different ways I can increase and maintain performance and gas mileage. Thanks.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
Nice to see some life in this thread still, I was just thinking about posting in it this morning.

I haven't messed with any tunes on my car but am very interested again; I just started commuting 80 miles a day and this car's inability to rev-match a downshift is driving me crazy.

Tom, can you share some details on what parameters you're able to change with the electronic throttle, or what difference can be expected? Do you have any data to show a difference in response?

Sorry for the specific questions but the price is steep when all I want is a dang throttle cable. Would really love to hear some customer feedback on throttle response in particular if anyone has tried it, or can point me towards other threads discussing it.

FF Affiliate
Nice to see some life in this thread still, I was just thinking about posting in it this morning.

I haven't messed with any tunes on my car but am very interested again; I just started commuting 80 miles a day and this car's inability to rev-match a downshift is driving me crazy.

Tom, can you share some details on what parameters you're able to change with the electronic throttle, or what difference can be expected? Do you have any data to show a difference in response?

Sorry for the specific questions but the price is steep when all I want is a dang throttle cable. Would really love to hear some customer feedback on throttle response in particular if anyone has tried it, or can point me towards other threads discussing it.
There is a lot of feed back posted about what my Tune does , not sure what details your looking for

Tom

Registered
There is a lot of feed back posted about what my Tune does , not sure what details your looking for

Tom
I'd guess maybe he is wondering if you can alter the throttle position ramp rate(more linear).

I don't know what Ford did with these Foci, but I know the throttle on my 2010 Miata had a slow tip in rate on the early portion of the throttle. My aftermarket tune on the Miata altered the ramp and made the car more responsive to changes in throttle position at the early portion of throttle opening.
The Miata throttle position was not linear from factory. The aftermarket tune is more linear in throttle position making it feel more responsive.

Registered
Add lightness, did you ever get this going? I'm curious if you're happy with the outcome.
I'm currently headed down this path. My wife and I take turns driving the 2018 Miata and my 2012 focus. The throttle response, down shift rev match, throttle hang, inability to skip gears in the focus is really driving us nuts. I'm in the process of working with Tom to improve these items.

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
Add lightness, did you ever get this going? I'm curious if you're happy with the outcome.
I'm currently headed down this path. My wife and I take turns driving the 2018 Miata and my 2012 focus. The throttle response, down shift rev match, throttle hang, inability to skip gears in the focus is really driving us nuts. I'm in the process of working with Tom to improve these items.
No, I never bothered with the tune, just learned to work around it. I'm sure that, done properly, it would solve all the driveability issues I described. Let me know how your experience goes.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts