Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will one of the big tunes (Tom's Tune, TSWerks) negatively impact an otherwise stock vehicle?

I'm interested in a tune almost strictly for better performance of the DCT in my 2016 2.0 SE. I'm getting the clutch replaced by Ford and I'd prefer this be the one and only time the clutch needs replaced. The shudder is so uncomfortable and tells everyone I bought a lemon.

I don't really care about aftermarket parts. I just want a car that runs better, so I know it's worth keeping and making payments on.

Advice is needed! Please and thank you!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Tom's the only one I know of with a tune prioritizing 'shudder' reduction as a goal.

It won't have a negative effect on anything else, but remember that you need to flash back to stock before taking it to the Dealer for work.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tom's the only one I know of with a tune prioritizing 'shudder' reduction as a goal.

It won't have a negative effect on anything else, but remember that you need to flash back to stock before taking it to the Dealer for work.
Tom's tune is actually the one I've been looking into.

I'm curious as to anyone who's had their clutch replaced and then done the tune, whether the shudder came back at all.

I'm not too familiar with flashing a car. I have a lot to learn about these "tune"s.

On second thought, maybe a better air filter. But economical/transmission performance is definitely what I want. I have yet to make my first payment. If I'm gonna keep the car, might as well make the tranny last.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Take a look in his vendor section (Focus Power). There's a thread there on folks tuning just for DCT issues.

Easier to find than scattered in the MkIII Problems section.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Take a look in his vendor section (Focus Power). There's a thread there on folks tuning just for DCT issues.

Easier to find than scattered in the MkIII Problems section.
Where exactly? Sorry. Long day
Been searching different forum sections all over FF

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts

·
FF Affiliate
30,348 Posts
Tom's tune is actually the one I've been looking into.

I'm curious as to anyone who's had their clutch replaced and then done the tune, whether the shudder came back at all.

I'm not too familiar with flashing a car. I have a lot to learn about these "tune"s.

On second thought, maybe a better air filter. But economical/transmission performance is definitely what I want. I have yet to make my first payment. If I'm gonna keep the car, might as well make the tranny last.
The tuning process is easy and if you have any issues I can remote into your laptop and help just like I was there with you

Many have and havent had clutches changed and my tune has helped a lot or cured there shudder , some I cannot do anything to help and I think its because the damage is to far and a tune cannot help damaged parts like oil leak , disk damaged , hot spots etc , 70%+/- of the people that get new clutches and updates the shudder comes back if tuned soon enough I can stop the shudder and most say it never comes back or its so much better there very happy

My tune isnt a guarantee cure but its worth trying , I am still in the 90% +/- of fixing the shudder for customers

Tom

·
Registered
133 Posts
The "shudder" is the lurching-ish feeling the car makes when going from 1st to 2nd in the dct that feels like someone learning to drive manual, correct?

·
Registered
990 Posts
The "shudder" is the lurching-ish feeling the car makes when going from 1st to 2nd in the dct that feels like someone learning to drive manual, correct?
No. It's the entire car lottery shuddering from a start in 1st gear.
My focus used to do it in the Chicago traffic and I had a fiesta rental that had it pretty bad.

·
FF Affiliate
30,348 Posts
In my opinion yes , feels like when I taught my Daughters how to drive a Manual trans and it would buck and shudder letting off the clutch

Tom

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
i think so.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I fully attribute Tom's tune to lasting 110k miles on the stock clutches. The transmission was going to hell before it was tuned.
That's excellent to hear. Besides the shudder, it just sounds like a good investment in general.

And while I get people saying that I should make Ford fix it under warranty always , I'd rather not have the inconvenience of taking it to them multiple times or getting stranded because the TCM fails. Besides, if it's a nicer driving car it makes my monthly payment more worth while.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts