Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 2.0 spi has been making the exact same noise as in the video and after some reasearch i found that it's the tumble flaps. However, all the posts i have seen are about duratec engines and i haven't seen one for SPI, but i know for sure that the spi has tumble flaps too because i saw them when i was swapping heads. The sound is not constant and seems to happen randomly and i can make it go away by revving the engine high or getting on the freeway.

I tried disconnecting the plug on the square that makes them move and the sound did not go away. I also read about disconnecting the vacuum hose in the middle of the intake, but unsure which one it refers to on the SPI. I also used a mechanic stethoscope and the sound does not seem to come from the valve cover, but it seems more louder on the intake and more on the passenger side of it. Any thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxLckzrpdgw

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Nice reference!

Similar results from a different setup - not well known for noise as the duratec system is.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I took another hard look at the engine in a quiet place with my stethoscope and i accidentally put the stethoscope down the spark plug hold in cylinder #1. I took the valve cover off and the lifter on the exhaust side on cylinder 1 could be pressed down about 1 millimeter while all the others were hard as a rock. I went ahead and replaced both lifters and sure enough the sound hasn't come back.

It had come to a point where you could hear the tapping after the engine had gotten to normal temperature, but not loud enough to be heard while inside the cabin only if you stand in front of the valve cover, but it was difficult to pinpoint the noise. I drove it around last night for a while and the sound didn't come back neither the sound when the engine got hot. Will drive it more today and hopefully the sound doesn't come back anymore.

Also, when i took the lifter out i was able to squeeze it and all the oil came out, while the other one seems hard. Is this normal or more signs that the lifter was leaking out?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Those sound like signs that the lifter wasn't working right.

Hydraulic adjusting tappets/lifters are supposed to take in/leak out oil SLOWLY, while not moving with sudden pressure - that's how they self adjust to take up clearance while still not moving when the cam presses on them with the engine running.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Sailor, do you know by any chance in what direction are the feed holes on the lifters supposed to face? I'm just curious because on both intake and exhaust lifters the feed holes were facing towards the driver's side of the engine. I put them the same way i took them out, but i remember reading a thread that said you could put them backwards and the lifters would not get oiled properly.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just wanted to update that i drove it today and no tapping noises at all. I can safely assume now that it was the lifter, the car idles so smooth now.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Good to know, thanks for the update

1 - 9 of 9 Posts