Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after pulling my intake off two weeks ago to replace pcv hose, I got a good look at the tumble flaps. They are definitely going to break off soon. I have searched and read a lot of threads on removal of the flaps, but there seems to be no firm answer on if I can safely run my car without a tune. If I remove the flaps and bar but leave everything else hooked up can I run without a tune until summer? I have to put tires on soon so can't blow money on a tuner just yet, but I don't want my motor to get messed up either. All I have done to my car is a homemade SRI and I don't plan on doing anything else performance wise for a while.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Yea you can, some have find a slight hesatation from removing them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So one more question just to verify. Do I unplug the control motor for the flaps or leave it plugged in. Cause I am going to do this on my weekend before my car eats some plastic lol.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
I'd see how it runs both ways. I've disconnected the vacuum line going to the solenoid & plugged it. Doing that you'll have a cel.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
So one more question just to verify. Do I unplug the control motor for the flaps or leave it plugged in. Cause I am going to do this on my weekend before my car eats some plastic lol.
What you called "control motor" is commonly called; IMRC Actuator. The Actuator includes a component (on the bottom of it) sometimes referred to as a Diaphragm.

Once you do your tumble flap delete; leave the Actuator connected electrically and leave it connected to the vacuum line too. This allows the system to operate normally and you get no DTC or CEL... plus allows you to pass emissions testing if you live in a State that requires it. It will operate normally, but will not have the mechanical link to the tumble flaps.

I ran my car with IMRC disabled for a couple months, and did not notice a difference. YMMV.

The thread HERE talks about the tumble flap delete, and also has tons of tech discussion and some confusion too. I read the whole thread long ago, and enjoyed the misery and the lessons learned.

Edit: Also, please note that your car has only IMRC. The 2.3 engine has IMRC and IMTV.
IMTV is another set of tumble flaps that are buried inside the intake manifold of the 2.3 engine.
BTW - a new Ford IM with IMRC can be bought for around $300. Link below is an example, and may not fit your 2.0
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-3S4Z94...3628fbe&pid=100011&rk=1&rkt=9&sd=360767898482

This one looks like your IM and is $cheaper->
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-O...3628fbe&pid=100011&rk=2&rkt=9&sd=360767898482

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup thanks for the help everyone. I deleted mine begining of March and have yet to have any problems or notice any difference. Even without a tune I recommend this to anybody. No more clacking noise and don't have to waste money on new intake. All I did was pull the bar and flaps out and left flap control plugged in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts