Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks back, I mounted some TSX projectors in my eBay mach-a-like headlights. I had to bend some aluminum brackets and didn't like how it came out but they work fine for now. Then I came across Obocecha's thread (Click here) and really liked his custom bracket since you can still use the original adjustment screws. I have decided to make a custom bracket of my own. I don't know what material to use though. I am undecided between aluminum, polycarbonate, or teflon. I figure the polycarbonate or teflon will be much easier to cut since I will be using a sheet that is 1/8" thick. I want to get some opinions so any input is appreciated.

·
Banned
4,142 Posts
I would use the aluminum or something nice and sturdy.

We did a set for a 240Sx silvia setup and used steel. I like to make sure that nothing will happen...you got pics?

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would use the aluminum or something nice and sturdy.

We did a set for a 240Sx silvia setup and used steel. I like to make sure that nothing will happen...you got pics?
No pics, sorry. I didn't take any when I mounted the new projectors. I have a bunch from when I painted my headlights, but those are boring shots. I'll be sure to take some when I do this bracket.

use something that can withstand high temps

other than that, have fun!
Well I know polycarbonate has a melting point of approx. 500*F, but softens around 300*F. Teflon on the other hand has a melting point of like 600*F and obviously aluminum is much more (1100-1300*F maybe?). How hot do you think the projector housing will get with a 50w HID kit?

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I am going to go with the teflon or the aluminum. I'm sure the teflon can withstand the temps the projector is creating and should be rigid enough at 1/8" thick.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts