Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
coooookie monster
7,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need to change my O ring and was just wondering what should i expect from this? as in any common problems or how long it will take

·
Lurking
1,999 Posts
quick fix just take the big coolant hose off that goes to the Tstat and unbolt it and pop the old one off and bolt it back up... shouldn't take you to long.. 1 hour if you don't know jack about cars....

·
coooookie monster
7,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seals and merry Xmas!

·
Registered
714 Posts
Odds are it's more than the seal, you may have to replace the housing.
Here's what your in for. A few minor things will be different for SVT
not too difficult

Merry Christmas!

·
Wings & Teeth
2,465 Posts
i did this on my zx3 and its so tight and crammed in there that its tough. but the svt is alot more roomier and you can gt to it easier.
dont take it up to autozone or anything cause they will say that you dont ned a housing.
but you do.
look inside the hole where the ring is and if you can see the inside part of the ring you need to replace the whole thing.
about 55-65 bucks from stealership.

·
I.S.A.I.K.I.
5,413 Posts
Odds are it's more than the seal, you may have to replace the housing.
Here's what your in for. A few minor things will be different for SVT
not too difficult

Merry Christmas!
Agreed. If you've noticed that your main t-stat o-ring needs replacing, you might be better off getting the entire housing w/ the new ring. These will tend to deteriorate over time because of the combination of wear and tear plus the SVT's valvecover barfing oil over the top of it. Petroleum oil breaks down the material that the o-ring is made of.

Crack open the Tstat housing and you'll see that the 'ring will have a inverted "U" shape in it. Portions of the T-Stat housing will actually start to flake where the seal is deformed and could cause the system to not work properly by ingesting pieces of plastic into the plumbing system.

BTW getting the Viton O-rings onto the top gold plug sensor, matter of fact both of the plugs in a major PITA!!![mad]

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
If its the plug's o-ring in question, its a simple 5 minute job. I simply bought a new plug with o-ring ($15), pulled the pin that holds in the plug, yanked out the old plug, greased up the new plug, installed new plug (went in as easy as a hot knife through butter), re-installed pin. VOILA! No more leak.

·
Registered
136 Posts
The cooling system will get air in it after doing this correct? How difficult is it to bleed the air of the system?

Sean

·
Wings & Teeth
2,465 Posts
you can do this yourself even if you dont know anything about cars in less than an hour.

i did mine in about 20-30 minutes.
and that is in a nonsvt which has less room.

·
Regulator...mount up
3,026 Posts
[werd]... thing is mine's been leaking for months now so I'll probably need to do the full swap like suggested above hoping theres no further damage. I studied the focushack for this problem back when i first noticed da leak and seemed straight forward enough I guess after removing the old housing its all about plug and play with the new one right? plus how much does the whole housing+ring go for? (I'm sure Mike can hook us up but I've yet to talk to him about it) I've neglected this fix for so long its now on my new years resolution list[?|]

·
Registered
714 Posts
^^ check with b16sir1991
I'd say about $60
The step by step ison the link in my earlier post

·
Regulator...mount up
3,026 Posts
really? not bad at all, I'll def hit Mike up after i'm back home from the holidays. I actually conversed with him about the 'plug' back when i found the leak and it was cheap enough (less than $20 shipped i believe) but I now wanna be on the safe side and do the whole swap. Yea the focushack is thorough so i'll follow it by the book and probably throw in a 180* thermo while i'm at it... Thanx guys!

p.s. question about the refilling in the 1st step "Fill the reservoir a couple inches below the bottom fill neck" is that up to the MIN line or am I understanding this wrong?

·
Wings & Teeth
2,465 Posts
go to a dealership! it 63 bucks without shipping cost and a thermostat is cheap i live in tx and bout a 195degree.
you can drain and reuse the coolant just have a buck below the hoses when you disconnect them.
but itd probably be smart to just drain and put new coolant in, because it may have become a little acidic and thats what cause the corrosion of the plastic.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
word, I can bring a ring to the G2G tomorrow...will you be there?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts