1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
TSB 05-9-16 cold start issue at ford

·
Registered
111 Posts
Thers a long set of forum posts somewhere here. its like 8 or so pages last time i checked. Some people took it to the dealer even with proof in hand and they did nothing about it. Fuel pump issues, ECU issues, reflashes didnt fix if not made worse. I think Ford messed up on this one and they gave up on it. Yet we are all stuck with car that won't crank over

·
Registered
9 Posts
my car cranks and cranks untill it starts after i gave it some gas then it will have black smoke for a bit then run fine. it's also been to the dealer many times and they've replace idle air valve and flashed the ecu. but they have not fully fixed it!! they have also told me that it only happenes with the 5-speed cars and not the autos. is this true? mine is a 04 focus se with the 2.3 5-speed.

·
Registered
184 Posts
mbtech2003 said:
my car cranks and cranks untill it starts after i gave it some gas then it will have black smoke for a bit then run fine. it's also been to the dealer many times and they've replace idle air valve and flashed the ecu. but they have not fully fixed it!! they have also told me that it only happenes with the 5-speed cars and not the autos. is this true? mine is a 04 focus se with the 2.3 5-speed.
yeah i think its mostly the 5speeds i have the same problem

·
Registered
672 Posts
mbtech2003 said:
Just a minor point. You don't "give it some gas" because the throttle doesn't actuate any fuel pump or like device. The icu gives the gas thru the injectors, based in input from various sensors.

If it's blowing black smoke, it sounds like the gas is getting there, but the ignition firing is delayed, resulting in overrich mixture when it first fires. I'd check the ignition.

·
Registered
345 Posts
its not just the mtx. my auto did it for a while as well. didn't even bother to bring it in cause i didint want it messed up any further.

·
Registered
534 Posts
If you suspect that the engine might be flooded, holding the accelerator to the floor will turn off the fuel injectors per page 110 of the '04 Owner's Manual. If the mixture is habitually rich during the first 5 second attempt to start, holding the accelerator to the floor for the second attempt might shorten the process. My '04 2.3l is always garaged but I've never noticed this phenomenon. My ECU still has the original factory flash from early in the year.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My 2006 zx3 is doing this same thing. It's not an all the time thing. Just on some days it will take 3 or 4 key turns to get it started. I made an appointment to get it looked at Wednesday(tomorrow) and they are going to keep it for a few days and give me a loaner car in the mean time. I'll update it as soon as I hear any thing.

·
Registered
859 Posts
The only time my '05 ST has been hard to start is if I fail to keep my foot OFF of the gas pedal prior to turning the key. Try it, it might work for you too (then again it might not)!

Also, the owners manual states that when the car is cold you should turn the key to the on position, then wait a few seconds (i.e. buckle seatbelt), then start the car. Many have had good success with this process.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I got my car back from the ford dealership today. The car fired right up when they cranked it (like I knew it would). They did run a check on their system for any bulletins posted about issues like this and they found one for the 05 - 06 focus' that are having similar problems. Ford is aware of it (duh) and there are no current flashes for this particular model. The only suggestion they had posted was to keep the key turned till the car started. haha I know this sounds like b.s. but I actually have a print out of this. I dont believe that this is going to help anyone but there is the verdict that I was given.

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
2005 ZX3 - Auto tranny
Car is almost 2 years old. 21K miles.

This happened to me just yesterday and it was warm/60 degrees.

I always put my foot on the brake and start the car. Never had any starting issues until yesterday.
Turn the key and no ignition/starter initiated. Dash did light up when I let the key go to Run position.
Turned key to off and tried again and it started. No issues since the one incident.
Car has started right up each an everytime.

Not sure what's up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts