Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thanks to PratoN for calling this new TSB to my attention. This is a TSB that needs to be performed before the damage to the wiring harness is severe.

Chafing of the wiring harness can cause a no start, run rough, loss of power, loss of engine rpm.

Here is an example of what can happen if your wires get damaged:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=281609&page=19

MK3s affected:

Auto transmission: built on or before 2-4-2014

Manual transmission: built on or before 2-19-2014

TSB 14-0215 (last TSB on this page- Thanks to Squad-G for posting all the TSBs and OldBlue for reminding me where they were)

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B7KYDK8tigidWlVISWhIT1Bad3c&usp=sharing

Attachments

·
Registered
289 Posts
Looks simple enough to DIY. A good quality electrical tape or even a piece of flexible tubing tied around the problem area should suffice.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks to PratoN for calling this new TSB to my attention. This is a TSB that needs to be performed before the damage to the wiring harness is severe. Sorry for the poor quality of the attachment.

Chafing of the wiring harness can cause a no start, run rough, loss of power, loss of engine rpm.

MK3s affected:

Auto transmission: built on or before 2-4-2014

Manual transmission: built on or before 2-19-2014
Thanks, good info and good to know. [thumb]

A good quality electrical tape or even a piece of flexible tubing tied around the problem area should suffice.
I was thinking the same thing.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Thanks for posting, Wavsine. There have been quite a few reports of mysterious power losses and stalls in the Mk3 population - wonder if this is the cause? If it is, it's pretty discouraging it took Ford 3 years to come up with this simple and effective (and cheap) fix.

·
Focus Preacher
3,417 Posts
Thanks for posting, Wavsine. There have been quite a few reports of mysterious power losses and stalls in the Mk3 population - wonder if this is the cause? If it is, it's pretty discouraging it took Ford 3 years to come up with this simple and effective (and cheap) fix.
Especially people who have a random e-throttle body issue...

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Thanks for posting, Wavsine. There have been quite a few reports of mysterious power losses and stalls in the Mk3 population - wonder if this is the cause?
I doubt it.

The power loss issue seems to affect MT Focuses and is almost always cleared up simply by cycling the ignition.

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks simple enough to DIY. A good quality electrical tape or even a piece of flexible tubing tied around the problem area should suffice.
Yes, if caught early, all you have to do is install nylon split loom and wrap electrical tape around the harness. If the harness is already compromised and bare wire is evident, the repair is more complicated as it involves soldering and wire lengths must not be altered during replacement to maintain proper circuit length.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My pleasure! [thumb]

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Thanks to PratoN
[thumb]

I haven't had this issue yet, but I think I'll be proactive and wrap my wiring harness come spring. I did an oil change and the spark plugs last weekend (in my driveway) and I've decided it's just too cold to do anything else outside unless I really have to.

·
Registered
32 Posts
That is pretty good! [cheers]

·
Registered
952 Posts
So I've taken a look at this under my hood and my pieces are definitely touching. Going to try to DIY it tomorrow when we have a break in the cold weather. Preliminary inspection tells me this harness is very stiffly in-place and barely if at all flexible. Weeeee! Also I couldn't find 7/8 looming,... so I'm using 1" instead.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Looking at the wiring harness in my car it looks like there is a nylon sleeve that should protect the harness from abrasion. But the sleeve is not very long and if it or the harness is mis-positioned a problem could occur. So it looks like Ford tried to anticipate the problem but assembly issues may interefere in some examples.

And given the time of year, it's much easier to manipulate/inspect the wiring harness when the engine is warm.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Checked the harness and it is heavily wrapped and not touching. So good to go on that count. I did have a drop in revs on the highway coming back from Corning on the I 90. No codes popped up, stopped and cycled ignition and all back to normal. With this TSB I thought you all had found my magic bullet. Hasn't happened again and have run the car a month since incident. Creeps you out when cruising at 75 and going out to pass!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts