Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally had TSB 14-0131 done to my car, the dealer had my car for 5 days. Said they replaced the inner seal and clutch and reprogrammed PCM TCM.

Parts Listed:

BV6Z*7B546*D CLUTCH ASY
AE8Z*7048*B SEAL ASY - OIL
AE8Z*7052*C SEAL ASY - OIL

So it appears I got the Rev D Clutch, was told that the new clutch is designed to be cleaned when the oil get's on it vs the old one that required replacement. So is Ford telling me the seal will leak again or was this some BS?

Well when I picked the car up, I noticed the grinding noises, shuddering and total feel of the DCT were different, not typical more positive but I have not driven the car enough yet to draw conclusions. The thing I did notice that is totally new is a sound I'm hearing from the transmission after applying the brake at a traffic light or coming to a full stop, either in drive or park, the noise sounds like the clutch possibly or the shifting mechanism, I noticed when I'm applying the brakes I can now hear the mechanism downshifting. Not a grinding, more of humming/hydraulic sounding noise.

Can anyone tell me if they had the above TSB done, that they experienced this noise as well and/or if the clutch being new needs to be broken in, I'm guessing this is the case but like I said I never heard this noise when my car was brand new off of the lot.

After multiple dealers, I'm amazed it took this long since my DCT has been an issue since my car was new over 1 1/2 years + of driving, disappointed that Ford did not send out this Customer Satisfaction Letter notice a year ago.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Not that I've heard of. Can you get a video/audio recording?

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will record it if it doesn't go away in the next few days of commuting, I'm thinking it's the clutch being new. Sorta reminds me of the sound you hear when you let your car sit for a few days and the rotors get a little rust.

I also have a sound in the left front end that they could not solve, I thought it was a wheel bearing going bad or a CV joint, they said everything checked out, even after rotating the tires the sound is still there, at speeds up to 30 MPH, beyond that it's not as obvious.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
UPDATE

The sound I was hearing is gone, after 60 miles it went away, I think it was the fresh clutch breaking in, now it's fully seated obviously?

So far no grinding or shuddering, the car is still a PITA to drive in D Mode while doing stop-n-go driving in heavy traffic, only recourse is to put it into S mode.

Still have a pulsating sound coming from the front end, Tech test drove the car with me and heard it, but they could not fix it. Typically hear it between 5 to 30 mph.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
You're going to need to drive a lot more than 60 miles to break it all in. Go drive your car. Drive her hard. Get everything working for a few hundred miles.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I have a similar sound - but I'm pretty sure mine is a front wheel bearing (or both). Turning doesn't affect the pitch too much, but it does get louder on both left and right turns. After 30mph it's not really noticeable. I could also be my brakes/rotors or, less likely, my intermediate shaft carrier bearing. Time will tell.

I know you got them rotated, but it could also be your tires?

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You're going to need to drive a lot more than 60 miles to break it all in. Go drive your car. Drive her hard. Get everything working for a few hundred miles.
The clutch noise is gone.

The left front end nosie was there prior and is still there, developed a few months ago. I can feel the pulsating vibration on the dead pedal area. Evident around 10 to 30 mph.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a similar sound - but I'm pretty sure mine is a front wheel bearing (or both). Turning doesn't affect the pitch too much, but it does get louder on both left and right turns. After 30mph it's not really noticeable. I could also be my brakes/rotors or, less likely, my intermediate shaft carrier bearing. Time will tell.

I know you got them rotated, but it could also be your tires?

I watched your video, but I can't hear the noise, can you feel the pulsating vibration on the floorboard when you rest your foot against the dead pedal? It's obvious between 10 to 30 mph, where it get's loud and passengers can hear it as well. I started thinking it was a tire/wheel issue, but they rotated the tires and the problem is still in the left front.

I tried recording with my phone, but it was unable to pick up the sound I'm hearing and feeling, way too much road noise in the background.

Obviously something in the driveline, clutch pack didn't solve it.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
...can you feel the pulsating vibration on the floorboard when you rest your foot against the dead pedal?
Mine is more of a low-pitched rumble than a pulsation that I can feel through the dead pedal / gas pedal / steering wheel. I can feel a grittiness at highway speeds too, it's just not nearly as loud at those speeds.

Obviously something in the driveline, clutch pack didn't solve it.
If it wasn't there before, it's possible the clutch repair caused it? They need to take a lot apart to get to it, so it's possible they could have messed up another component. Other issue I know is a vibration in reverse. That's caused if they accidentally swap 2 similar bolts while re-assembling, but one is longer and can cause interference.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mine is more of a low-pitched rumble than a pulsation that I can feel through the dead pedal / gas pedal / steering wheel. I can feel a grittiness at highway speeds too, it's just not nearly as loud at those speeds.

If it wasn't there before, it's possible the clutch repair caused it? They need to take a lot apart to get to it, so it's possible they could have messed up another component. Other issue I know is a vibration in reverse. That's caused if they accidentally swap 2 similar bolts while re-assembling, but one is longer and can cause interference.
No, it was there prior. It developed a couple of months ago. It diminishes past 40 mph. Very noticeable at launch and driving at low speeds.

I was wondering how much work it is to replace the clutch and as always with other cars, rarely do they put things back together and/or forget to install parts. Always urks me when I have to take a fairly new car in for major service.

When I opened my hood, I found a tool laying in the windshield wiper well. Not the first time, I found screw drivers, hammers and other tools in my engine well on past cars. Also missing screws, plugs and broken parts.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
57 Posts
Mine has the same noise. A pulsating noise that I can feel in the steering wheel and gas pedal when I reach 60 mph. It is very noticeable and has been making this noise for some time. Its getting worse so I need to take it in. There is a post (or two) about this noise and several people had a rear wheel bearing replaced and it solved the issue.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
There is a post (or two) about this noise and several people had a rear wheel bearing replaced and it solved the issue.
Yeah, I just replaced both of my rear bearings because they were clicking and I was getting weird wear on my back tires and my rotors. How bad is my luck if I have all 4 wheel bearings go before hitting 100k? Then again, Milwaukee and Chicago aren't known for their impressive road quality. heh...

I've seen a good chunk of front wheel bearing replacements on the forums as well. Someone sent me a Youtube message and said they had the same noise and it was fixed by replacing both front wheel bearings. I'm probably going to do pads and rotors soon, so once those are on I'll take it to the dealer and say "Well, it's not the brakes or the tires, so..."

Unless it is the brakes. [wiggle]

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dealer said the wheel bearings were okay, but you know how that is? The tech that drove the car with me in it, said that wasn't it and I did not get into a debate about it though I did not agree.

My car has just over 20K miles, so I thought maybe it was possible the front left rotor was warped?

Along with this, I now have a oil leak, either motor or gearbox, I had an oil change done as well so I'm thinking it's motor oil.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Dealer said the wheel bearings were okay, but you know how that is? The tech that drove the car with me in it, said that wasn't it and I did not get into a debate about it though I did not agree.
Ugh, I wish I couldn't relate...

I showed the technician at the dealership the video of my wheel bearing clicking (note - there was no brake hardware attached) and he still said he didn't think they were bad. I paid $62 for the "diagnostics fee" and just replaced them myself. I don't think I'll be going to that dealership anymore...

I didn't want to risk going to another dealership and forced to pay another $62 with no positive outcome when each bearing cost less than the diagnostics fee.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update, my car has been leaking motor/gearbox oil since being picked up on Tuesday, I had a oil change but dealer thinks it's either that or worst the seals in the transmission, yay!

Also they never fixed the thumping noise in the left front end, so I had to return the car this afternoon. Rode with the same tech as last week, they never fixed it and explained the problem again, everything I mentioned he was not in agreement with, CV, Wheel bearings, Intermediate Shaft Bearing (Service Writer said he didn't think the Mk3 has one of those?) Anyone?

So they kept my car, gave me another rental non Ford product of course. Not sure if they will have it done tomorrow, needless to say I'm growing tired of this car and it's issues.

I only have 2 or 3 more new dealers left without having to drive further south, which is something I do not want to do, as well a couple of the other local ones have bad reps.

·
Registered
87 Posts
So I finally had TSB 14-0131 done to my car, the dealer had my car for 5 days. Said they replaced the inner seal and clutch and reprogrammed PCM TCM.

Parts Listed:

BV6Z*7B546*D CLUTCH ASY
AE8Z*7048*B SEAL ASY - OIL
AE8Z*7052*C SEAL ASY - OIL
Strange that your TSB repairs are different than mine:

1 BV6Z*7B546*D CLUTCH ASY
1 CA6Z*7A508*E CYLINDER ASY - CLUTCH SLAVE
1 XT*11*QDC FLUID TRANSMISSION
1 EV6Z*7052*A SEAL ASY - OIL

also had the TCM/PCM reprogrammed on an earlier visit, but that did absolutely nothing to improve it.

Looks like we both got the revision D version of the clutch...but after than it's all different...hmm.

I have put about 350 miles on mine since having it serviced..and aside from a few low rpm stutters...which I fully expected during the break in period...the car has been shifting very smooth. And no oil leaks.

As for the bearings...have not had that issue yet at 51k miles. I do hear the slight clicking noise sometimes when turning left at low speeds. Brings back bad memories of all the many times I had to replace the CV joints on my Ranger.

I did have to get one of the rear upper control arms replaced...not to happy about that almost $400 bill.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Strange that your TSB repairs are different than mine:

1 BV6Z*7B546*D CLUTCH ASY
1 CA6Z*7A508*E CYLINDER ASY - CLUTCH SLAVE
1 XT*11*QDC FLUID TRANSMISSION
1 EV6Z*7052*A SEAL ASY - OIL

also had the TCM/PCM reprogrammed on an earlier visit, but that did absolutely nothing to improve it.

Looks like we both got the revision D version of the clutch...but after than it's all different...hmm.

I have put about 350 miles on mine since having it serviced..and aside from a few low rpm stutters...which I fully expected during the break in period...the car has been shifting very smooth. And no oil leaks.

As for the bearings...have not had that issue yet at 51k miles. I do hear the slight clicking noise sometimes when turning left at low speeds. Brings back bad memories of all the many times I had to replace the CV joints on my Ranger.

I did have to get one of the rear upper control arms replaced...not to happy about that almost $400 bill.
CA6Z*7A508*E must not have been faulty in my case? $140 part from the looks of it.

I even question the tech, maybe he was not 100% accurate in listing the parts replaced or what was done?

These are the parts:

Shuddering is gone, it's a pity it wasn't like this since Day 1. Shuddering started after the first 50 miles. I just hope it does not come back

I have not received any updated from the dealer yet, I hope they can solve the issue with the front end thumping.

Oil leak, well hope it isn't something serious, then you never know, cracked bell housing from a bad repair job or etc?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Jeffero28 had the wrong parts listed for the repair, slave & seal would have been for a MANUAL transmission not the DCT. (clutch correct)

Ppwk. error, wrong list of associated parts.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts