Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 ZX3 with a MTX. I am trying to change the transmission fluid, but who ever owned the car before me has stripped the fill plug. Does anyone have any ideas how to remove it?

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
you could use a die grinder to cut a notch in it and use a flathead screwdriver

or use drill bit and an easy-out

just make sure you get a new plug before you remove it

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
my guess is the end of the plug since he cant get it out

stripped threads are only a problem when you cant get it in

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah its the threads in. The 8mm allen wrench fits but doesnt turn anything. I am gonna try the next size up and see if I can get it to budge loose, then replace the the fill plug. I hope the drain plug is not that way!? If worst comes to worst I will get a nut welded onto the plug. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
my guess is the end of the plug since he cant get it out

stripped threads are only a problem when you cant get it in
uh oh......it's coming:

THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!!! [whip] [hatchet]

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
Yeah its the threads in. The 8mm allen wrench fits but doesnt turn anything. I am gonna try the next size up and see if I can get it to budge loose, then replace the the fill plug. I hope the drain plug is not that way!? If worst comes to worst I will get a nut welded onto the plug. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.
I really doubt its stripped man, they just get stuck thats all

grab on to the end of the allen wrench with some pliers or vise grips, or try hitting the end of it with a hammer.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry, what I meant is that when I putt the allen wrench into the head, the allen wrench turns and turns with no resistance.

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
see, told you guys [neener]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts