Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 focus. I have been through inspection two times and can't pass. Actually the result is the Focus is not ready to be inspected. What do I need to do? It was 30 days between tries, I don't drive very much, work is close to home. The odometer just reached 100,000.

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
I don't drive very much, work is close to home.
Drive more over longer distances...seriously. The car must go through a series of drive cycles usually at full operating temperature before the stored DTC code is cleared. I assume the testing station keeps coming up with the following code:

P1000 - Monitor Testing Not Complete
The on board diagnostic II (OBD II) monitors are performed during the OBD II Drive Cycle. The DTC will be stored in continuous memory if any of the OBD II monitors do not complete.
Causes:
Vehicle is new from the factory
Battery or PCM had recently been disconnected
An OBD II monitor failure had occurred before completion of an OBD II drive cycle
PCM DTCs have recently been cleared with a scan tool
PTO circuit is shorted to VPWR or B+ or PTO is on during testing
The DTC does not need to be cleared from the PCM except to pass an inspection/maintenance test.

·
Flipping Rockstar
16,788 Posts
I'm assuming when You go in for the inspection the OBDII test is reading multiple NR(Not Ready)? Have You disconnected Your battery any time previous to these inspections? If so, Your ECU has probably been reset, and to make all of Your sensors read as ready You need to go put about 40-50 miles(mostly freeway speeds, but throw in some city for good measure) on her, and everything should, should be ready for re inspection.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I am assuming you are stuck with a code and you had it fixed, but the code is still set...
Ford (as do all cars) has a specific set of conditions which has to be met for a OBD2 problem to be reset. EVEN IF IT WAS FIXED.
The computer in the car has to check for the problems and when it sees they are fixed.. after several times it will finally take away the trouble code.

On my Contour it was driving around in city traffic for a mile or so (from a cold start) then getting on a freeway ramp and going full throttle onto the freeway, then driving about 5 miles at a steady state.
If I did not do one part it did not count.
It took about four times, and it had to be from cold engine, fo mine to reset.

The problem may be you are not doing a part of the requirement for your car.
Iff the OBD2 gizmo does not get a complete set, IT DOES NOT COUNT AT ALL.
So you could drive forever and never get the code to go away. (as far as I understand the system)

A different thing: I am assuming the reason you cannot get a test is you have a code being displayed.
IS it?
They would not do mine becuse some other idiot inspector broke off my OBD2 gadget and it was hanging loose. They did not care that it was broken years before by thier own G**damn inspector! (I owned the car for 13 years... I remember the guy breaking it off to do it! like after I had the car four years, then many times done, no issue with the broken OBD2 connector. Then suddenly oh no we cannot use that, it has to be fixed!)
I had to go home and zip tie it up into place before they would even look at it.

Or, so part of the emissions may be missing which they can see. and refuse to do it.
I assume they are TELLING you why they refuse to do it.
What is the reason??????????

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
^^ that's BS they could still plug into it..... there's no reason you couldn't

you can have one sensor read "not ready" and that's it.

about 99% of the time (my statistic...personal experience) it's because the car hasn't been driven long enough in one cycle. Once that engine cools off long enough, you lose your ready status. Some cars are pretty bad.... On a Chrysler we had to have the customer drive over 250 miles before his car would read ready.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
That happened on my old ZX3. I was messing around with the intake and had unplugged the battery a couple times. When I went to emissions testing, I got the 'not ready' result. Had I known back then, instead of paying $200 for a emissions-qualified mechanic, I would have raced up and down the highway and tried again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts