Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2002 Ford Focus SE SPI
Maybe pressure regulator or something? Pressure switch?
Sadly Ive worked on most parts of the car but not power steering yet so I am not sure what this part is. From what I can tell it sort of looks like a pressure valve. At anyrate, mine is leaking out of it and I need a new one! If anyone can help identify that would be awesome! Its spitting foam/power steering fluid out the bottom of that part, its totally corroded away.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
What year, model, trans?
Does it have an electrical connector on it?

Paul

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
What year, model, trans?

Paul
Good lord sometimes im stupid, I could of swore I typed it but Im probably just thinking all the google searches ive been doing. 2002 Ford Focus SE SPI auto sorry about that!
On the underside its concave like an igloo with what looks like a bent brass pin in the center, doesnt seem to be an electrical connector.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
It should have an electrical connector on it and look like this:
1595351321033.png

Perhaps someone disconnected the connector?

Paul

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It should have an electrical connector on it and look like this:
View attachment 307238

Perhaps someone disconnected the connector?

Paul
Is this where its supposed to be? I cant find that part in that location on anything, did someone just move it?
I looked for a good 15 minutes and could not find any electrical connector dangling anywhere. The corrosion seems to be old, ive had the car 2+ years and never noticed.
If it is the sensor, I am guessing its just unscrew and screw the new one in? Considering I may not have an electrical connector, it seems a quick fix hopefully.
Thanks for the input!
(parts very may well be moved, whoever had it before me added a lot of aftermarket things then removed parts of them but left a lot of pieces)

I figured it was this when turning the wheel with car on, foamy fluid starts coming out of it.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Is this where its supposed to be? I cant find that part in that location on anything, did someone just move it?
I looked for a good 15 minutes and could not find any electrical connector dangling anywhere. The corrosion seems to be old.
If it is the sensor, I am guessing its just unscrew and screw the new one in? Considering I may not have an electrical connector, it seems a quick fix hopefully.
Thanks for the input!
View attachment 307239
Yes it seems the connector rotted off. Unless somebody cut the harness i think you will find the harnes connector and a part of the switch dangling somewhere.

You need a new power steering pressure (PSP) switch. Ford pn should be YS4Z-3N824-EA or aftermarket equivalent. They actually list two different switches - one with SAE threads and one with metric threads. It says SPI uses SAE threads and that is the pn I gave you.

Good luck
Paul

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes the connector rotted off. Unless somebody cut the harness i think you will find the harnes connector and a part of the switch dangling somewhere.

You need a new power steering pressure (PSP) switch. Ford pn should be YS4Z-3N824-EA or aftermarket equivalent. They actually list two different switches - one with SAE threads and one with metric threads. It says SPI uses SAE threads and that is the pn I gave you.

Good luck
Paul
Thanks man!
Was such a let down last night at work to hop in the car, turn it on and hear the screaming groan and whine =/ Thanks!
Could very well be someone cut the harness off or it was already rotted off when I got it. Ill give it another look below for the danging wires but after 2+ years and however long the guy before me had it, it may of fallen/snagged and tore off at some point.
This is so much better news than I was worried it would be, my last Ford I got rid of because buying another of the same year was cheaper than the repair.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I would still try to find the harness connector and replace the switch and re-connect the connector. However if you absolutely cannot find the connector (and its been diconnected and working fine for a long time) you probably can just remove the old leaking switch and plug the hole in the port. The thread is 3/8-24. Go to an auto parts store, etc, and get a plug with the same threads that matches the threads on the switch. The plug will probably cost much less than a new switch.

Good luck
Paul

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah a new switch is about 60 dollars. I was just going to write and ask if any difference would be made by using a bolt/plug. Started thinking, it says it should throw a CEL,(says that online, I dont get why it would throw a CEL, its not an emissions part) it doesnt seem to. If it doesnt throw a CEL and I cant find the connector the only difference I could think of is that fluid cant come out and leak if the pressure goes up.

I do plan to try and find the connector after work today (have to ride electric scooter home, yay) but at worse, if there is no connector/wiring anymore there is absolutely no reason to spend so much on a sensor, I cant use.

Thanks again for infos! :)
(I did notice the steering was slightly stiffer than I was used to and expecting when I first got the car, (barely resistance when turning when usually it just moves without any effort)I chalked it up to it being a different model of car than I was used to, maybe this explains that)

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
The PCM will set a DTC for any sensing circuit failure - doesnt have to be emissions related. Not all DTCs result in a CEL illumination. If you have access to a scan tool you can check to see if a DTC has been set for that circuit.

Good luck
Paul

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
No DTC for it, no errors pending or stored at all. Very weird :(
Maybe they bypassed it someway or its still connected to the top of the connector somewhere and thats causing it to work? Will find out after work today in a few hours :)
(I love ForScan)

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
No DTC for it, no errors pending or stored at all. Very weird :(
Maybe they bypassed it someway or its still connected to the top of the connector somewhere and thats causing it to work? Will find out after work today in a few hours :)
(I love ForScan)
Id be curious to know what you find out - let me know.

Paul

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
When it fell of it must of went into the belt area, short wires connector gone! Put a bolt in, still bleeding I needed more fluid
Make sure you insulate the ends of the broken wires.

It looks like the stock switch has a o-ring face seal:
1595389429580.png
Did you try to use the o-ring from the old switch on your bolt/plug?

Paul

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep original o ring was in good shape and reused it. For now I zip tied the wires out of the way, plan to insulate in the morning before work. There was a lot of air in the system had to go get a 2nd little bottle =/
Thanks again for the help!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts