Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all -
I've been experiencing symptoms lately that align with the canister purge valve recall. I initially had the vehicle serviced for this back in October, however they only performed a software-based fix, and I've still been having issues after that. I've had two different mechanics within the past week test the vehicle and pull codes, and both times they've pulled P2196, 2195, and 1450 (all related to the TSB, see: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2018/RCMN-18V735-5232.pdf). The only problem is, the dealership that initially performed the software fix refuses to take any further action relating to the recall without having an active CEL to pull a code from, and today while I was driving the CEL turned itself off and presumably cleared the code.

I'm finding this really frustrating to deal with. The dealership's schedule is always a week out, and they won't accept any evidence other than the codes they pull themselves. If the CEL turns itself off and clears the code, what do you do?

- Does anyone know if the code will still be in the system regardless of the CEL being on or not?

- Is there anything I can do to convince this dealership to take another look at the evap purge valve & physically replace it, under recall, without them needing to see and pull codes for themselves?

Thanks in advance, Focus Fanatics!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have an understanding that the codes are still stored in memory as pending. When I brought my 2012 in for the recall the CEL had turned off. They mentioned that they saw the codes and as a result they replaced the CPV. The fuel tank was determined to be fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hi all -
I've been experiencing symptoms lately that align with the canister purge valve recall. I initially had the vehicle serviced for this back in October, however they only performed a software-based fix, and I've still been having issues after that. I've had two different mechanics within the past week test the vehicle and pull codes, and both times they've pulled P2196, 2195, and 1450 (all related to the TSB, see: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2018/RCMN-18V735-5232.pdf). The only problem is, the dealership that initially performed the software fix refuses to take any further action relating to the recall without having an active CEL to pull a code from, and today while I was driving the CEL turned itself off and presumably cleared the code.

I'm finding this really frustrating to deal with. The dealership's schedule is always a week out, and they won't accept any evidence other than the codes they pull themselves. If the CEL turns itself off and clears the code, what do you do?

- Does anyone know if the code will still be in the system regardless of the CEL being on or not?

- Is there anything I can do to convince this dealership to take another look at the evap purge valve & physically replace it, under recall, without them needing to see and pull codes for themselves?

Update:
The dealership attempted to get Ford to re-issue the recall for my vehicle on grounds that the original fix was inadequate. Ford refused, stating that the CPV was not faulty at the time of the recall, so only a software fix to prevent the CPV from causing errors was authorized. The dealership then decided to replace my CPV through some 'special fund' of theirs, free of charge. I hope that's the last of these issues.

@trottida
They were able to pull codes from memory; you are right. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi all -

I'm not seeing any changes in your first post of this thread.
I updated my other post. I couldn't figure out how to change the first post. 😅

·
Registered
130 Posts
Ah, I see it now. That wasn't there seconds ago when I looked at the thread. When the edit button disappears you can no longer make edits. I'm not sure how long you have before posts are closed. One day would be my best guess as I cannot edit my post from yesterday.

Well that's good news. Glad the dealer came through for you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts