Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings gents and gems! Earlier this year I popped the trunk and hauled out all the spare tire gear and replaced with a can of auto-fill/sealer in my roadside emerg kit. Around town I tend to boot about with absolutely nothing in the trunk, not even the liner. For long trips far from home I toss the spare and it's bits back in for peace of mind. For overnight stays just out of town I'll toss in the liner and put my bags in there.

What I'm wondering though, is, when I don't have the spare in the trunk but I put the inserts, flat carpet and trunk liner back in, the middle will sag with minimal weight, of course. I'm not interested in warping the OEM carpet bit so I'm trying to work out a solution that is going to allow me the few pounds of saved weight.
  • I had a cardboard box for a while but after getting some water into the trunk from the spray-n-wash I decided that wasn't a great plan. Still working out how the water actually found it's way in which is a bigger problem.
  • Tried re-inserting the foam pieces from around the spare with some manner of spacers but failed. I'm thinking this is probably still the best route to take so as to keep the parts where they belong and making use of OEM is certainly preferable.

Any suggestions? Has anyone gone OCD enough to actually do the same thing?

·
Registered
627 Posts
can't the fix-a-flat damage the TPMS sensors?

Honestly I do not see the point of removing the spare tire from the car.

But as suggested use some plywood.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Cut sections of Polystyrene foam would be light.

If you wanted to go high tech & fit exactly in one piece, find a plastic bag to fit & fill with cans of expanding sealing foam. Same setup as is used commercially for packaging fragile items in a box. Bag in hole, squirt in foam to expand & fill the excess space.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why not a piece of 1/4" plywood?
can't the fix-a-flat damage the TPMS sensors?

Honestly I do not see the point of removing the spare tire from the car.

But as suggested use some plywood.
It's all about squeezing weight off for daily driving. I'm only a 20-45m drive from my house most of the time and don't carry any weight I don't need, ever. Shouldn't be any issues with the TPMS at all if everything gets rinsed out during repair. I've used these a few times before and am not worried for short haul to the shop or home and the can fits in my first aid kit no problem.

Cut sections of Polystyrene foam would be light.

If you wanted to go high tech & fit exactly in one piece, find a plastic bag to fit & fill with cans of expanding sealing foam. Same setup as is used commercially for packaging fragile items in a box. Bag in hole, squirt in foam to expand & fill the excess space.
I happen to have two cans of that foam that we weren't using. I like this idea mucho!!! Thanks sailor!

·
Registered
627 Posts
It's all about squeezing weight off for daily driving. I'm only a 20-45m drive from my house most of the time and don't carry any weight I don't need, ever.
ok ...

So what is your documented improvement in mpg? What is the error in that measurement? I just can not see an appreciable increase over removing the spare tire.

·
Registered
62 Posts
OK, it's all about weight then. So if a piece of 1/4" plywood is too much weight then so would anything you put back there that would bend the stock cover!

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
ok ...

So what is your documented improvement in mpg? What is the error in that measurement? I just can not see an appreciable increase over removing the spare tire.
I'm not trying to promote this as an idea you or anyone should adopt and I'm not out to data log my entire commuting life to make a point to anybody. I just asked for input on how to to remedy the trunk liner sagging... which is the topic for this thread, not my experimental methods of efficiency.

OK, it's all about weight then. So if a piece of 1/4" plywood is too much weight then so would anything you put back there that would bend the stock cover!
Well when I first read your response I thought "a single piece of wood wouldn't suffice, and building a wooden frame would work but I'm sure there is a lighter alternative." Additionally, until I figure out the water-into-the-trunk issue I'd rather not put something in there that could soak up water, get heavier by that and/or retain moisture in the trunk for however long. The liner is actually heavy enough to sag on it's own without anything in there so, no. But thanks for the suggestion. [headbang]

·
Registered
62 Posts
Well....right after I bought my Focus I had to transport a small snow blower back there. So I cut a 1/4" piece of plywood and it worked real well. In fact it's still in there, never took it out. If your getting water back there, you could paint it and it would soak up very little then. Just some thoughts.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well....right after I bought my Focus I had to transport a small snow blower back there. So I cut a 1/4" piece of plywood and it worked real well. In fact it's still in there, never took it out. If your getting water back there, you could paint it and it would soak up very little then. Just some thoughts.
Interesting so was the piece standing up on it's end or like rigged onto the OEM foam bits that held the spare? I could definitely paint the crap out of it.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Flat piece to cover the spare tire well is the most common expedient.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Mine is 32" wide and 28" the other way and just lays flat on top of the spare. I think if the spare was out of there it would be supported around the sides with no problem.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Flat piece to cover the spare tire well is the most common expedient.
Hmm and I do own a jigsaw... another solution to draw up.

Mine is 32" wide and 28" the other way and just lays flat on top of the spare. I think if the spare was out of there it would be supported around the sides with no problem.
So you've created an insert like sailor mentioned? 1/4 plywood?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Ya, but mine was just a piece I had. I didn't try to fit it or anything. I'm sure if you have a saw and took some measurements you could cut to fit and do a neat job of it.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Usually not done as an insert but as a piece to cover most of the floor under the carpet.

Variations of course are up to your own ingenuity & testing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts