Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 02 zx3 with a finicky trunk.It has worked failry well for the past year but stopped today.I checked all fuses ,they are good.The wiring diagram doesnt show a relay of any sort besides the onboard computer under the dash in the passenger foot well. I replaced the latch for 150 bucks and still does not work.Do i need to replace the computer.I know it controls door locks as well and they work and the alarm arms and disarms. So I'm stumped

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Are you talking about the trunk release button no working ? The contacts behind the dash button tend to go bad over time.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No

No the remote wont open it or the button in the car only the key . When i listen to the onboard computer carefully it sounds like there is a relay picking but nothing happens. The old latch was in pretty rough condition then it stopped and now even with new latch nothing opens it

·
Jetsetter
6,659 Posts
By trunk do you mean Hatch? Your profile says ZX3

If it is indeed a Hatch, check the wiring going from the body to the hatch itself, the wires tend to wear against the metal over time and create a short.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
further help would be really apreciated

wires seam OK . any other ideas? do you know if the onboard computer controls its function or where the fuse is for the latch function. I know its 20amps but wherefurther

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
further help would be really apreciated

exactly what it is ,any idea what to take apart to splice new wire inland thanks for your help

·
Registered
75 Posts
I would follow the wires through the car and check for any breaks on any of them, I had this exact same issue recently, caused by the rear washer hose being split, and 1 of the wires being bare, and the water from the hose splashing on it, blowing my hatch locks. I would start by following the wire from the actual lock connector and trace it back.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To anyone who said check the wires you are all top notch. Exactley the problem where the hatch lifts at the hinge inside the boot. Thank you all once again for your help.

PS cruise control error was caused by the brake swicth popping out by the brake pedal. resecured and perfect thanks all!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Are you talking about the trunk release button no working ? The contacts behind the dash button tend to go bad over time.
Can that switch be pop-off or do I have to remove the dash to change out the switch. At this point The latch opens with the remote only. I have a 2003 wagon

·
Registered
252 Posts
^^ You need to remove the dashboard. The first two pictures in this new sticky thread (in MK1 area) will help you-> http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=321859
Thank-you looks very straight forward I will pickup a switch at the bone yard as I try to find a good passenger engine mount. I did not have luck by replacing both upper engine mounts with aftermarket and the local Ford dealer want $151 just for the passenger unit.

·
Registered
381 Posts
At 125K...I found about the same thing as in the pic...along with 3 broken wires...3 of the smaller ones. Rear wiper would not work.

I used some metal connectors (no plastic covers) to crimp on the broken wires...and soldered them well....used shrink tubing to cover the splices. Did about 5-6 wires total.

When you remove the rubber cover top and bottom...don't pry on the hard plastic part underneath...just get the rubber part off. Needed to cut out the center corrogated part of the cover to have room to work. The lower rubber part needs to be silicone caulked to the body to prevent water from getting in.

You have very limited room to work...easier to talk about this repair than to do it....this fixed the wiper and probably the 3rd brake light.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So...This is a small bump, but I absolutely have to share this.

True Story I swear.

I had this trunk button issue also. Checked the wires, checked switches, voltages and outputs. Blah Blah Blah Blah. Finally, I threw caution to the wind and said *** it, I'm not even gonna sweat this anymore until I take it to a professional when I get the dough.

So one night I was bored and take a look at the trunk space and decided it was time to upgrade my incandescent bulbs to LED cuz it's like a damn cave in there.

Stop in to Walmart, buy said LEDs, and Presto-Change-O! Brand spankin new LED in the trunk and now I can actually find things.

While I was driving I realized that the door ajar light finally went away on its own. So I stop somewhere and check to see if the trunk switch works. Aaaaand Open Sesame! No soldering, no headaches.

Confucius say: Don't use cannon to kill mosquito. Seriously a lesson was truly learned that day and I encourage anyone having this problem to try it. And if it doesn't at least now you can find that big round thing that makes your car move. Good Luck!

·
Registered
381 Posts
No the remote wont open it or the button in the car only the key . When i listen to the onboard computer carefully it sounds like there is a relay picking but nothing happens. The old latch was in pretty rough condition then it stopped and now even with new latch nothing opens it
For both my ZX3 and the neighbors sedan...a spray of WD40 or light oil works wonders...allows the solenoid to work?

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you so much for the pics. You helped us diagnose a fuse 42 short circut that affected the selector switch When dad cut open the wire sheath he found FOUR severed wires, also affecting the brake lights, trunk light and latch sensor. Your fix saved us time and $!

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Did you fix your latch? I just did my sons, but we didn't use a new one, our was a wrecker find. It did not work either. I was pretty disappointed as new ones are real pricey. So told my kid he has to use the key. Lol. BUt, being thorough, I sprayed the lock big time with lube. Only lube I had was WD 40 penetrating oil. Next morning I was working on the dash area on something else, and my elbow pushed the button. Hahaha, the trunk popped open. It was just frozen from sitting. Works great now.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts