Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm new here so please bear with me. My wife's 2002 ZTS 4dr sedan is having issues with the trunk release actuator and the power door locks. Neither of these items work, however, when I push the buttons, I get a clicking under the right side of the dash. I am assuming that since both switches cause this clicking in approximately the same spot, that the problem is from the dash to the door locks and trunk latch. Everything unlocks when using the key. We don't have the fob for the car, so I have no way of knowing if things would work with it. I have to admit that I am pretty mechanically inclined and capable of fixing most things, but when it comes to electrical issues, my mind goes into limp mode.[scratch]

·
Registered
980 Posts
Hi guys, I'm new here so please bear with me. My wife's 2002 ZTS 4dr sedan is having issues with the trunk release actuator and the power door locks. Neither of these items work, however, when I push the buttons, I get a clicking under the right side of the dash. I am assuming that since both switches cause this clicking in approximately the same spot, that the problem is from the dash to the door locks and trunk latch. Everything unlocks when using the key. We don't have the fob for the car, so I have no way of knowing if things would work with it. I have to admit that I am pretty mechanically inclined and capable of fixing most things, but when it comes to electrical issues, my mind goes into limp mode.[scratch]
The clicking you year are relays inside the GEM (Generic Electronic Module). The GEM basically is the main 'relay box' for many of the Focuses electro-mechanical and/or timing functions including the intermittent wipers (front), rear wipers, power door locks, remote entry (key fob), anti-theft system (alarm), and rear defroster. The GEM is located under the dash behind the passenger side kick panel. In your specific case the lock switches on the doors signals the GEM and the GEM signals the lock mechanisms themselves. Either you have a wiring issue from the GEM to the lock motors/trunk release or you may have a blown fuse that powers the GEM. The fuses you need to check are in the CJB (Central Junction Box) which is the fuse box under the dash on the drivers side. You need to check F32 (15A) and F63 (20A). Unfortunately F63 is on the back side of the CJB and you will need to partially remove the CJB from its bracket (2 screws) to access it.

Paul

1 - 2 of 2 Posts