Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forum, so hello to everyone. I'm looking after my mother-in-law's 2004 Focus ZTW wagon, and it's got some things I need to fix.

First off, the trunk release buttons (both on the keychain and the interior release) don't work. From what I've read on this board, wire wear is the most likely culprit, and I'm going to take a look at it the next chance I get. Have most people cut out the worn section and shortened the wire, or replaced a section with more durable wire. If so, what type of wire should I be getting (obviously stranded, probably 16 or 18 ga, but is there a particular type that works well)?

Second, the exterior trim panel surrounding the key hole has come partially off, and it blocks the key hole. I'd like to fix this, and I'm planning on looking at it from the inside, because I can't see anything on the outside that could be fixed.

How hard is it to remove the interior panel from the lift gate? Are there hidden screws? Where are the tabs located, and are they difficult to pry? Has anyone got illustrations to help?

Thanks for all your help! I'm planning on replacing the serpentine belt soon, as apparently it is starting to squeal. I'll be asking about that soon enough...

jptrsn.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts