Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never been impressed with the amount of lighting in the trunk area so I decided to add 2 flexible 15" smd led strip lights. I still have the stock bulb in cause it adds light to the front but will replace it with a LED bulb when I order one.

·
Jetsetter
6,657 Posts
nicely done, the stock light leaves a lot to be desired, I changed mine out years ago for cold cathode tubes, its amazing how handy the extra light can be at times

·
Registered
967 Posts
Care to share exactly what you used and how to do it?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not quite done yet hiding the wires so dont mind the hack job. I wanted to wait till I got to see it in the dark to see if it was worth continuing. I'm out at the campground till Sunday so I plan on finishing up when I get back home. I spliced into the trunk light wiring for the power. Total price $3.48 and a bit of time
Bought from here: http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...eName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hi, very neat...
Chris

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is a clear shot of the finished install. I couldn't wait till Sunday when I got home so I borrowed a drill to finish the job.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Thanks for the info.

I ordered 2 Blue LED's for my hatchback from oznium.com
One for each side. They should brighten up the hatch a little.

·
Registered
168 Posts
This is my hatchback lighting mod. I left the OEM incandescent lights in, I will remove the bulbs later. I soldered them right into the wires of the incandescent bulb then ran the wire to the opening right behind them. No drilling or cutting needed on the hatchback. The LED's came with double sided tape on them to attach. I should have bought more of these 6 LED blocks to add more elsewhere. Not only in the car.

Picture is a little blurry because I shot it without a flash and the shutter took a long time.
Sorry about that.

P.S. Shipping was cheap so I will order more soon.

·
Registered
73 Posts
look sooooo sick im def getting one too.

Im an uber noob, so bear with me....im assuming it comes on when u pop the trunk like the stock light does, ya? so like where/how did you plug the wires into? thanks!

·
Registered
168 Posts
look sooooo sick im def getting one too.

Im an uber noob, so bear with me....im assuming it comes on when u pop the trunk like the stock light does, ya? so like where/how did you plug the wires into? thanks!
Easy if you can trim wires and solder!
The Hatch lights pop out real easy, so strip some wire and solder the LED wires on.
You can run both incandescent and LED or remove the bulbs to have just LED's.

ETA: Yes, the lights come on when you lift the hatchback.

·
Registered
580 Posts
sorry to threadjack, sort of - but we might as well put the trunk/hatch LED info in one place?

i was surprised to find yellowish incandescent bulbs in my hatch lights since there are cool color temp lights everywhere in the interior.

i set out to find suitable LED w5w replacements and found that a lot of them had LEDs on all sides and the top - it seemed weird to shine light back into the void behind the trim panel (since there are no reflectors in these fixtures)

then i discovered these w5w's that only have LEDs on one side: http://www.ebay.com/itm/321259791910 they shipped pretty quick directly from china (and i ordered a bunch more LED bulbs for my wife's Flex from the same seller).

here's what the bulbs themselves look like:

the comparison between the LED on the left and the incandescent on the right:

and both LEDs installed. i like the cooler color temperature, it matches the rest of the interior lighting a lot better (and also more light inside the hatch)

though not as much as installing an LED strip under your trunklid! [:)]

·
Registered
296 Posts
i did mine a while ago... i used a led strip i got from ebay... i bought a 300smd strip that can be seperated every 3 leds. I bought that many for other lighting projects i have planned...plan on adding some to my glovebox and console with a normally closed momentart pushbutton. I used 30 leds in my sedan trunk and what a difference. i soldered leads to the strip, put it into a vinyl tube, sealed the ends and tapped into the existing trunk light so it comes on when its opened.

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
one of the first mods I did to my car was put LED light bars in the trunk.. I simply just tapped into the existing lights

581773_606204759424994_111132258_n.jpg 1001580_606204682758335_1172218623_n.jpg 1004635_606204699425000_480009597_n.jpg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts