Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys have a 2003 5 door Svt focus. So my car is saying there is a door open I checked all doors like 100x (lol) and it still shows. Then I remember I opened the trunk. So I tried the trunk and the same. And I have had a little problem with the trunk before but I usually just open it and close it again and it goes away. Well not this time. But the light in the trunk is not on. So how do I fix this and will it drain my battery?

·
Registered
16,335 Posts
Switch either bad or trunk lid needs adjustment to get it back to turning light off.

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
It's a very common problem that the wires break in the harness that leads between the car to the hatch/trunk and it almost always seems that the trunk light is the first wire to break. Pull the little rubber protector down and see if you can see any broken wires.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I think it's the wires cause it randomly goes away and comes. I will check Thursday, I think that's when I will have a chance.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
If the insulation is cracked (causing the exposed wire to short or ground) then you can just put a piece of electrical tape on it and call it a day. Ford saved one cent per vehicle making the harness just a bit too short, so it tends to fail. Or maybe it was a way to get more people coming to the dealer for repairs...

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
...So how do I fix this...
Just echoing what has already been said by several people... probably the wiring is messed up. I also had your symptom, Door Ajar light on dash stayed on, and found my wiring messed up. First made a piss-poor repair that lasted about 6 months, then re-did the repair a second time, and went a little over-board by replacing all the wiring in the rubber boot. See link for details->
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/general-technical-chat/204878-2005-zxw-hatch-wiring-breaks-2.html

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wow! This information is so accurate! Initially I thought the door ajar warning light was due to the trunk lock assembly so I replaced it but the problem persisted after. I found a broken wire exactly by the trunk hinge wiring harness. The other wires were not broken but the insulation was cracked so I used electrical tape to protect the wires from future degradation. It solved the problem! [wrenchin][cheers]

·
Registered
16,335 Posts
Cheap crap biodegradeable wire insulation that biodegrades too early. Then the application was faulty, the wire gets flexed way too much there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts