Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone verify if the trunk release button lights up or not? It doesn't in my 2000. Took it apart and i see a spot to solder an LED, but there isn't one in there so no light. Stupid thread maybe, but I'm curious. Did Ford cheap-out on us poor U.S. customers again like with the power window swtiches?

·
my car breaks!
2,103 Posts
nope it's not soposed to be lit :)

but i might go and light mine! i never thought of it. i'll let you knwo how it goes

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool, think I'm gonna solder an LED into mine and see if it works, the little pictogram on the button IS translucent.

The power window switches already have LED's in them but Ford-in it's infininte cheap-a** wisdom, simply didn't bother to wire them up. There's threads on here with how-to's.

As far as the trunk button, I assume it would be the same type of LED as in the stereo or headlight switch, BUT there are only 2 wires going to the button. I never traced them but I'm guessing it's a simple switch that just closes part of the circuit, triggering the release. The Central Timing Module disables the switch once you hit a certains speed, maybe that's what the other wire is for? Guess we'll find out...

·
my car breaks!
2,103 Posts
i was actually going to extend the switch to put anouther trunk release somewhere out side my car so if i lock my keys in the car i can just pop the trunk then climb through :p

·
Registered
189 Posts
My window switches have lights. The lock and trunk switch do not. I have a 06 ZX4 SES.

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
My windows switches were hooked up when i bought my car, just not my door lock buttons.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My fault. Knew it was either window switches or lock switches that weren't wired for lighting. I don't have either power windows or locks so I didn't really keep track. Stupid LX.

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
jaimz22 said:
i was actually going to extend the switch to put anouther trunk release somewhere out side my car so if i lock my keys in the car i can just pop the trunk then climb through :p
why not just wire up a switch to unlock the doors instead?[???:)] [:)~] [8]

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
ya the trunk button doesnt light up. Mine doesnt even work! I dont know y. I press it nothing happens. Ya mines a 2000 too.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Yea show us where you put the switch, and tell me where you live agn? LOL jk =)

·
Registered
90 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^lmao

yea for some reason my trunk release button will open my trunk or not when it feels like it.. or i just use my keychain button that opens it everytime

·
my car breaks!
2,103 Posts
they get old after a couple years. you can replace the switch and it's fine

I actually never did hook up my truck release.. I've got a much better plan, which involves my car automatically unlocking when I walk up too it.

·
Banned
3,065 Posts
I could map out a hundred wire diagrams using different options to unlock either the doors or the trunk.

For those of you with trunks that open occasionally, one of two things is happening.
1- the switch itself is going bad. Try removing it and cleaning out the contacts.
2-The solenoid in the trunk itself is going bad, replace.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
> for some reason my trunk release button will open my trunk or not when it feels like it.. or i just use my keychain button that opens it everytime.

The Trunk release button will only work if you have unlocked the doors electrically with the unlock switch or the keyfob, e.g., if your doors are locked, you stop, and you open the driver's door with the handle, rather than pressing the electric unlock button to unlock all doors, the trunk release button will remain inactivated.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts