Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I hope to be ordering a new catback for my SVTf soon...along with a few other goodies. I know that trubendz exhaust is the Borla muffler welded onto their own pipes...but how does the sound/quality/performance compare to the true Borla exhaust? Should I just shell out the extra cash for the real thing or will I not notice a difference with the trubendz?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
if you ask me... a steel tube is a steel tube, no matter where you go. i don't understand why people pay 500 smackers for an exhaust when they're really buying a few feet of steel and a name brand muffler. go with the trubendz.

if anyone else has any good info as to why one company's steel is better than another's, feel free to correct me.

·
Registered
607 Posts
not all steel is created equal..

Exhuast are also made out of surgical stainless steel for slight tone difference, durablity and so on.. for example

Trubenz is good if you spring for the higher quality steel.. Otherwise just go with a borla and call it a day

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
^ thanks for correcting me on that. i'd forgotten about surgical steel. i didn't know they made exhausts with it? but i dunno... i still couldn't justify 500 for a name brand exhaust.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, so getting the trubendz stainless steel 2.5" with borla muffler is pretty much the same thing as a true borla which is made of stainless steel as well. The only difference may be the borla steel could be of higher quality?
It says on their site the Borla is made of T-304 quality stainless steel...I didn't see any mention of the quality of the steel on the trubendz site...anyone know the quality of the steel they use or if it's of significant difference?
Also how about the sound between the two does the trubendz sounds as good as the borla? Thanks for the info guys [thumb]

·
Registered
191 Posts
No, they're definitely not the same thing when it comes to the SVT. The SVT version of the Borla has an extra resonator, where Trubendz makes no distinction and sells them all without the resonator. No resonator = buzzy, so the Borla will definitely sound better.

That said, I'm not sure I've ever heard a Trubendz exhaust, but you can find the true SVT-specific Borla exhaust for $349. If you're paying $500 for it, you're probably high [:)]

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jr_psychologist said:
That said, I'm not sure I've ever heard a Trubendz exhaust, but you can find the true SVT-specific Borla exhaust for $349. If you're paying $500 for it, you're probably high [:)]
The lowest I've seen it is at c-f-m for $399...where did you find it for $349? Thanks for the info guys I definately think I'm gonna go true Borla [:)]

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
i have the trubenz borla on my svt let me get a link so you can listen up

·
Registered
679 Posts
or you could do what I did and buy the borla muffler (80-90 bucks if I remember correctly) have a muffler shop install it for you and hack the rear lunchbox - then put the stock tip back on a mandrel bent pipe- total cost is like 150 :)

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Mine sounds pretty nice. I have the center exit Borla conversion. Its much quieter than svtguy21's car. his sounds nice, but too loud for me (sorry Kyle). I wish i had a way to download a sound clip for ya.

·
Registered
560 Posts
i had magnaflow cat-back , and got rid of it for borla, it sounds absolutely amazing , even with the orp , you cant even tell , theres no rice to it at all.....

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
^^^exactly^^^^

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
i don't care, it's driving me crazy as it stand right now. going to a muffler shop to have a resonator installed here shortly

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sweet guys thanks for the info and clips! I'm gonna go all out and just get the Borla over the trubendz. [:)]

·
Registered
191 Posts
Metal said:
The lowest I've seen it is at c-f-m for $399...where did you find it for $349? Thanks for the info guys I definately think I'm gonna go true Borla [:)]
Well, they've raised their prices since I last checked, but it's $363 now.

http://208.62.69.135/partssearch.asp?search=EXHAUST

If you can swing it, pony up the extra $33 and buy it from CFM. They're great folks, and it's good to support the sponsors as much as possible - especially ones who are beng very active in product development and support for the SVT [thumb]

1 - 20 of 24 Posts