Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I had a little while back my engine replaced but today while I was driving my car pretty much stopped accelerating acted like it was in neutral. The abs light, traction control light and battery light came on followed by my steering wheel stopping response and then a message popped up saying that the TCM needed to be serviced immediately. I allowed my car to coast to the shoulder before putting it in park and turning it off. After waiting a couple minutes the engine struggled to do much of anything before it turned over. I drove it a little bit and still noticed the steering wheel was stiff and not working correctly on sharp turns and then a couple minutes later the transmission went into neutral lights came back on and the notice popped back up. Does anyone have any thoughts on this. Does it sound like a tcm issue or something else

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Sure you had engine running and electricity?

Battery/alternator dying, loose connection, loss of adequate electrical power could be the alternate cause you're looking for.

Neutral and warning by itself says TCM, all of the other items mean it could have another cause.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The engine was running fine when it all happened. But as soon as I turned it off i couldn't get it to start again for a few minutes and then it would struggle to turn over before cranking up but as long as I left it on it would run. It just wouldn't go into gear and the steering was stiff.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh and it also gave a notice about hill start aid or whatever it's called was malfunctioning

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Hill start assist warning goes along with TCM problems, if you don't have that system.

No start attempt can be TCM, slow crank is not.

Slow crank and hard steering might both be battery or connection problems, the negative to Body is a bad one for that. Needs a take apart & cleaning to bare metal for a good connection, stock is just through the bolt that cut through paint.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll take a look at that bolt when I get off. I wasn't getting any trouble codes or anything

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Just guessing at things you can check, can't check TCM and it doesn't match usual stories on that.

Loose connections are all the more likely with recent major work done.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You wouldn't happen to have any locations specifically in mind to check for. The only reason why I ruled out loose connections is because it took a month and 1000 miles or so to manifest

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Battery terminals themselves are the obvious check, that ground bolt for the negative cable to ground might still be hidden in the stickies, makuloco had a post/video on it.

Seen pics and directions, big one you can use for jump starts.

Painted chassis, so stock it grounds through the bolt and where it cut through the paint with it's threads. Might even be a tsb on that, don't remember if it was official. Clean up for TCM issues to bare metal for good contact.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I read something about a bolt replacement for the tsb. But when I get off work I'll scrape some paint off and then Sand it when I get home so it looks nice. Any other ones that come to mind, it would be super helpful. I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good call on it being electrical turned out I had a bad alternator and in turn my battery died. So I replaced the alternator and everything is good to go

1 - 14 of 14 Posts