Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the ford dealer told me my alternator was weak and wasn't charging the battery enough. so i went to advanced auto and ordered a remanufactured one.

i picked it up today, and had my dad help me put it in. we followed the haynes manual, and took the old one out. it was a really horrible experience lol.

so when it came to putting the new one in, we ran in to trouble. we were able to get the new one in to position, but it doesn't sit right on the brackets.

there's two brackets, one toward the front of the car and the other behind. we were able to get the back part of the alternator in place in the slot where the bolt goes, but the front of the alternator will not slide down into place.

not sure what's causing the issue. does anyone have any tips to getting the alternator to position correctly?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
MOST alternators have a sleeve inside the outer bracket that moves to fit exactly....

IF the sleeve is too far in one direction it won't slide into place 'till you move it far enough for clearance.

When the bolt is tightened, it pulls the sleeve into contact, then the bolt tightens up.

Hope that helps....

Luck!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
after much "light" banging with a slim piece of wood, we were able to get it in place. took a break for the night, and hopefully everything goes back together correctly tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
You accomplished what I was suggesting, just by different means.....

It'll work OK now - so don't worry too much about it!

Take care..

Cheers!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts