Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, am glad to find a forum dedicated to this nice little car. I have a 2005 ZX4 that has a little over 83,000 miles on it. Just in the past month it has begun having problems starting. I used to be able to just get in without pumping the gas pedal. All I had to do was crank it and it started. Now, if I don't at least pump the gas pedal once and release it it won't start at all, it just cranks over and over. I changed the spark plugs and found that they were the original plugs, there was practically no tip left on any of them. The problem is still there even with the new plugs. I put in a container of the fuel injection cleaner and that doesn't seem to have done much either. Am thinking of changing the fuel filter next to see if that helps. I don't know much about solving the problems of cars, I can fix a problem usually if I have enough information though. Would anybody have any other suggestions of what could be wrong and what a solution might be to the problem. Thank you all very much for any help you can give me as this is the only vehicle me and my girlfriend have and it has to get both of us to work.

·
Freeskiing Fanatic!
5,455 Posts
yea, thats not a bad idea to change the filter. Perhaps its juts cause its cold outside. I have no idea where broken arrow is, but if its cold, then sometimes foci have trouble starting. I recommend you use your block heater if you have one. it will help you get started easier.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Well first off there is no need to pump the gas with a fuel injected car. All that will do is flood it. Get in, turn the key and that's all you have to do.
If it does happen to be flooded or you suspect it of being flooded; get in, step the gas to the floor and hold, turn the key and let it crank a few times. This will turn the fuel injectors off and allow the engine to clear.

Far as your hard starts go I'd say basic maintaince will help.
Change the fuel filter, How-To is here --> http://www.myfordfocus.com/how-to/fuelfilter.htm
Change the plug wires. I have the cheap Autozone wires on mine and love them, good low resistance too.
Use the recommended weight oil, 5W-20. Thicker oil can result in harder starts, espically in cold climates.

There are a few more things but a MIL/check engine light would be on for them, e.g. Throttle Position Sensor.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Well if it was the fuel filter then you would have poor perfomance throughout the rpm range. Poor fuel delivery.
I agree that it is probably due to be changed, but if it wont deliver enough fuel to get the car started it surely wont give enough to run 4k rpm and above when fuel demand is at its highest.

SeaFoam that bad boy and give it a clean bill o health.
You did plugs.
Do the filter.
Wires if you have the money.
If it still wont start right, then go get the Injectors cleaned.
I dont remember if there is a fuel line pressue fitting. That would be a good way to see if you getting good pressure to the injectors.

Just trying to think it through.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I will try the fuel filter first I guess. I did a search and read something about an ANS? When it warms up and we aren't away from it long, like a quick stop at the grocery store, maybe 10-15 mins tops, it starts up fairly well. It's when it has sat overnight or we were in the store for more than 15 mins is when it seems I have to push the gas pedal once and let up and then it starts right up no problem. Like Iminhell said, with fuel injection, I wouldn't think I would have to pump it at all. This only started when the first freeze came in about a month ago. We are in Oklahoma so it doesn't get that cold here really. If changing the fuel filter out next weekend doesn't work then I will let you all know. Thank you very much for the responses and suggestions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts