Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, now that its mid september we are getting cold nights and mornings here in jersey. i have noticed when i go to start me car in the morning it has alot of trouble. one morning it wouldnt even start the first time i went to crank it! now its only been around 45 degrees out in the mornings so far and thats nothing compared to how cold its gonna be the later months.. thats why its worrying me. ive been running 93 octane gas recently (like two weeks) to see the performance difference, so far none except the starting trouble. im going back to 87 because the chip is stock and ive heard 93 could hurt the engine. but my point out of all that is i have a full tank of 93 three right now and i can promise you my focus will have troube starting tom morning. does anyone know why? and why it only has troube when its cold (like below 50 degrees)? could it be the 93 or something else? i think ive seen a thread on this before but i cant find it. Please if anyone has the slightest of hints or advice dont hesitate. soon itll be 30 degrees out and even lower and God only know what will happen then[:(] thanks guys.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
battery dieing?? not enough cold cranking amps? and/or what weight oil are you using?? if ur using like a 40 weight, it makes a difference. your engine should use a lower weight oil if your using a more viscous one in the summer. If ur using OEM, then its prolly not putting out enough amps!! Try jumping ur battery or swapping one in from another car to see if it makes a difference!!

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Well what do you mean by starting, it has different meaning to different folks. MLB takes it as "cranking" while it take it as "firing" (crank but no start).

If it has trouble cranking the the battery and cables are suspect.
If it has trouble firing then I might think a fuel with the fuel pump, especially being it's an '00 and I don't know if the "recall" has been done. But I'm not sure if I'd relate that to the outside temp. For that I would think more of a Mass Air Flow Meter problem, Intake Air Temperature readings wrong and pumping too much fuel and flooding the car, possibly.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what do you mean by recall? and my battery is good. someone told me it was from my short ram air intake. is that true? also it has trouble firing the cranking is fine.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Does it smell gassy after you're done cranking and it didn't start?
If so pull the Fuel Pump Relay from the under hood fuse box "R7"; crank the car over. Most likely it will chug, try to run, run then die. Crank it again for about 5 seconds or so and feather the throttle as if trying to get it to stay running.
That should burn any residual fuel out of the cylinders and give you a fresh start again.
Re-install the relay (ignition off of course) and crank the car again.
If it pops right off you know it's a fueling issue, too much fuel at first crank, floods itself out. Which could be back to what I was saying earlier about the Mass Air Flow Sensor, or you may have a leaky injector. Either of which can be repaired/replaced by you, but is probably best left to a professional.

If you want to check if it's a leaky injector. Easiest way I know of is after the car has been sitting awhile, couple hours at least, pull the fuel rail off the manifold and pop the injectors out, if one of the tips is wet or looks moist while the others look dry, that is your leaking culprit. It's just the 2 visible bolts on the fuel rail and a firm tug and they pop right out.

·
FF Affiliate
31,089 Posts
How long has it been sence you changed SPK plugs , The 93 has nothing to do with it you could have 116 in there and it should start right up and no 93 WILL NOT hurt your engine , If anything the lower the octane the worse on the engine performance wise

Dont pull your fuel rail even if the injectors are leaking they couldnt leak enough to be a starting issue when cold if anything that would be a hot or warm start issue

Tom

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wow lol uh i dont think its that serious cuz when i started it this morning it was fine. and i did a tune up in the begginning of august so everything is good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts