Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is my cerclip out of shape? Having trouble installing drivers side axle, do I need a new cerclip?ford shops only place to order them? Special tool needed to get clip on shaft? After a big job like replacing clutch and flywheel only to be stymied by a $10 dollar clip

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
check the clip for burs,(I havent ever needed to replace a circlip) it may still be good it does take some force to pop that driver side axle in though, get up on it and give it a good thrust will your body weight, it should pop in.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anyone have a link to a pic of circlip , so I can dtermine if mine is shot or not

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
go to your local parts house and have them pull a halfshaft off the shelf , and look at it if you really need too.... but as long as yours isnt deformed , marred or has burs you are good. make sure splines line up and give it a a good push you'll here it pop in.

·
Registered
17,172 Posts
The clip will look way too big and the way it is. How it holds in place, you have to compress it all the way down to get in the hole right.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Had the same problem and it turned out that the half shaft was not the correct part for my transmission. Count the splines on the half shaft and the transmission if its different then that is the problem.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The clip will look way too big and the way it is. How it holds in place, you have to compress it all the way down to get in the hole right.
Yes the clip looks way to big,thought maybe I deformed it when I drove axle through from passenger side.
There is no way to compress it while inserting,are yousaying that it will compress itself when pushing shaft in right?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Had the same problem and it turned out that the half shaft was not the correct part for my transmission. Count the splines on the half shaft and the transmission if its different then that is the problem.
I'm using same shaft I took out

·
Registered
86 Posts
The closest thing I have to offer

I remember it being a bit of a pain to get installed. Cursing and a hammer was definitely involved.

·
Registered
17,172 Posts
Yes, it can take a bit of force to get it in. Take clip off and the shaft then goes right in, you be the judge of what the difference is.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
If a clip gets stretched I've gone as far as to remove it, squeeze it smaller & reinstall to make it fit tighter to the shaft.

Rotating the shaft while it's already engaged and the clip is near hitting it's compression point can help it drop into position to compress as it's pushed in. Even grease to hold it centered on the shaft is a trick that can work.

You're pushing it into a hole with only a small chamfered edge, and if any of the clip sticks out beyond that chamfer/gets too far out of it's groove at that point it won't compress into the groove for insertion. Instead it gets pushed back on the shaft over the splines where it can't compress.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I bought a new cerclip and hammered her in. All done just waiting for my new pinch bolts to come in and I'm finished

1 - 12 of 12 Posts