Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i went to put my car in reverse today and would not go into reverse at first, it took 4 or 5 tries to get it to go into reverse, once it did it worked fine. it has never done this before and didn't do it again today. is this something to be worried about? or what?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
so i went to put my car in reverse today and would not go into reverse at first, it took 4 or 5 tries to get it to go into reverse, once it did it worked fine. it has never done this before and didn't do it again today. is this something to be worried about? or what?

·
RIP 02 SVT 0209
3,944 Posts
mine does this sometimes and i found that if it dont go in to reverse the put it in first then try rev. and it always works for me some how ...

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I have problems when it is very cold. Might make 3 or 4 stabs at it. Putting it in first helps some. Hope this helps.
Dan

·
Registered
774 Posts
Yeah, what was said above. I would not try to jam it into reverse. Just work the other gears a little and it will work just fine. Happens to me a lot when weather goes below 30 deg. I think it is a combo of the tranny, linkages, and the shifter base. Its COLD out there man. got to warm her up.

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
I know a few weeks ago when it was cold, I had problems too. I had to pump the clutch pedal first in order it to get into gear. Courtesy of my master cylinder going out. Do you have any brake fluid on the lever of your brake/clutch pedal? That's the first sign as the seals leak.

All gears including reverse are synchronized, do you have ay grinding while shifting, especially into 3rd which seems to be the first syncro to go.

·
Registered
672 Posts
This is probably a function of the temperature. Parts dimensions change, oil gets thicker, thifter lineup is poorer. Best is to leave it in the gear you are first going to use, they you're ready to go. Next best, shift into a lower forward gear and move a little, then try reverse, or put it in neutral and rev it quickly, best to do the moving recommendation

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Mine's always harder to get into reverse when its cold.
^^^Or, even first thing in the morning when it's warmer out, and it hasn't been driven in a day or two.

Have you tried adjusting the shift cables?
"How To" Getrag Shift Linkage-Adjustment

BTW,
I've noticed the "hard to get into reverse" situation is not nearly as bad after I replaced the tranny fluid with Royal Purple Synchromax. [;)]

·
what it be like
6,381 Posts
when this happens...apply pressure like you want it to go in reverse and let off the clutch just a tad and it should pop right in there!!!! Rigz do it all the time!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts