Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I both drive Foci. She has an 03 Sedan, and I have an 03 ZX3. Both of us have had troubles with our trip odometer malfunctioning, her more than me. The deal is that sometimes while the car is off, or on even, the trip odometer will randomly go to 0.0 miles and then start counting up. Our hands are no where near the button, and there don't seem to be any specific conditions that are causing the trip odo to reset. To make things worse, this evening while I was driving my wifes Sedan her trip Odo went to 0.0 miles and for the rest of the trip (approx 5 miles) continued to read 0.0 miles.

The kicker is that the regular odometer continues to read the actual number of miles traveled and keeps counting up. This makes me believe that its related to the memory or reset circuit instead of a sensor. I've done some searching and researching (heh) and have not found any answers on this or other message boards, though I have found others that seem to exhibit the same problems.

Any ideas? I'm open to suggestions.

·
Registered
713 Posts
The only thing i could guess at would be the button you press to reset it is off a bit and hits sometimes on bumps? or stuck down a bit possibly...maybe a broken return spring? Cause if its stuck then it'll stay at zero i think if its just held in. Maybe the button on the cluster itself is borked.

Just a guess though.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I'm bumping this one back up because as of today I've got the same problem as described above. Anyone got an answer? Do I just forget about ever having a working trip meter again because at 1700 miles out of warranty it now doesn't make economic sense to pay the dealer to even look at it?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Take hand

make fist

bring down at a high rate of speed ontop of dash.

See if that works

1 - 5 of 5 Posts