Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this board, so if this question has been asked previously, please understand. I own a 2003 Ford Focus and have had no problems with the car until just recently. Out of the clear blue, my trip meter started resetting itself to 0.0. I took it to the Ford dealer where the car was purchased and they stated as long as the odometer and speedometer are working, there really is no reason to fix it and the only fix is a new speedometer ($286[:(] ). Then just recently, I noticed that when I start the car, the odometer has scrambled numbers, then it straightens out to the correct mileage. Has anyone had this problem or something similar to it? I would really appreciate your help.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I don't know where the mileage data is stored. It would seem to me to have to come from the ECU, b/c the ECU uses the odometer LCD to display other information besides your mileage. If that's the case, I'd wait a while and see what happens. Then, if it turns out to be like the dealer said, just a local problem (confined to the odometer itself), you could maybe get a used unit out of a junkyard. If the problem goes beyond the odometer, it might manifest itself in other ways that will make a reasonable diagnosis possible.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have not had this problem but I know that your PCM/ECM holds this information. As a tech if you had to ever repalce a PCM you have to very accuritly recorde that info to put into the new unit. Being that its getting the right mileage after a few minutes, I would guess that its not the PCM. I would look at the gauge cluster first. There might be a short in there somewhere. The trip rest button might have a short. Theres not much you personaly can do, unless your an electronics expert who can figure it out without a electrical diagram.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
[8)] Thanks for the info. I will keep your responses and should something go haywire, I will take the suggestions to the dealer and go from there. Now the odometer is not scrambling when I start it (perhaps the car is being a tempermental woman [:D] ). Again, thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts