Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just pulled the plastic trim piece (above the license plate) off of the trunk decklid of my 01 sedan. Nasty under there! Lots of scraping, sanding, phosphating, priming, and painting required before it went back. Also drilled out the three of five drain holes in the trim piece that were missing. If your license plate lamps dont work, its a good bet you have hidden rust problems under this trim piece.

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
LOL I went to grab the same trim piece from the ONLY remaining wagon left in the Scrapyard and broke 2 of the 3 mounting bolts off [rant]

My original on the car has been split in 2 spots but still attached.. thing is when I go to open the hatch Ive been pinching the fingers in the cracks seeing I can no longer pull it open from the center ( I have a heavy duty plate cover thats designed to amplify the plate lights so its a tight fit) plus I was sick of the plate rattle while driving

I went to take a peek at mine and I see a lovely rust bubble so right now I'm just going to pull the studs off my replacement trim piece and re-anchor a new set of bolts and wait till I can have a full day to do the body repair..

LOL it was funny when pulling off the trim piece there was more rust under that hatch ( scrap yard car ) then the whole body, the car actually looked WELL cared for and in mint condition except the accident relocated the motor through the firewall and positioned it around where the dash was..

I pray that the occupants of the car were ok I know there was a child in the car cuz they cut the rear pasenger door off and there was a childseat pinned between the seats

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes. All four M6 studs holding my trim piece on broke off during removal. There is some form of bi-metallic corrosion going on that rusts the steel nuts permanently onto those studs. I think this also accounts for the other accelerated corrosion under there. To fix mine, I drilled four thru-holes in the trim piece with a #10 drill bit though the center of where the studs used to be. I then used stainless-steel 10-32 x 3/4" socket-head screws and stainless-steel nuts to reattach the trim piece to the trunk deck. The socket heads recess nicely into the outside of the trim piece and can't be seen.

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
LOL add another battle scar x.x
tis is gettin annoying its causin papercut style cuts and they sting for days LOL I tried a piece of tape but pulled it off after looking at it.. looked like I was holding it in place with it LOL
now I have to see if I can do something similar about the mounting I don't want to drill the face x.x

LOL if it comes down to it Im gunna repair the bad spot install a few screws with a few washers alone in the mounts and fill the void with PL and stick it on LOL J/K

I may have to ask Mike how much a actual dealer replacement x.x ( I'm a stickler I would never PL Premium a car part on hehehe

actually come to think of it I may remove mine old one by breaking it leaving the studs in place and epoxying the studs into the broken sleeves on the replacement[wrenchin] then replacing the doublesided tape on the edges with new stuff and run it right across making it a waterproof zone if not Im deffinatly going to waterproof the top lip to the body to keep the water from intruding between it and rusting it yet again

1 - 5 of 5 Posts