Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stopped by an Autobody shop today after test driving an SVTF and I asked the guy in charge if it is possible to paint the moldings to match the car? He said that it would peel within a week if I tried to paint it. I'm just wondering if anybody knows what I can do to get the ugly black moldings painted. I bought some Duplicolor clear coat and some duplicolor white paint. I'm wondering if I put enough coats of white and then enough coats of clear on there if I can just let it dry and then wax and buff the crap out of it?? Any solutions?

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
tell the guy hes an idiot...they can be painted.

·
Registered
738 Posts
They can be painted and iv seen it on other members cars I belive SVT_BMXer has done his. On another note u can order the body-color moldings in any SVT available color for something like $400. It should be less than that. I also think that included the mirrors.

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
Mine have been painted for almost 3 years and no peeling here.

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome thanks guys. So DuPont Automotive vinyl paint...a sprayer I'm assuming? My dad is a painting contractor so he has a nice sprayer. SOooooo foci_fosho did you sand? If so for how long and to what end? Then one coat of adhesion promotor, then say a few coats of the vinyl paint, and then what..maybe 7 coats of clear?? And that should give me the results I'm hoping for? I have black tinted windows..what do you think about painting the whole mirror casing instead of the half painted look of the SVT and others? Did you leave the pieces on when you painted or did you remove them?

·
Supercharged
3,276 Posts
turbovation said:
Awesome thanks guys. So DuPont Automotive vinyl paint...a sprayer I'm assuming? My dad is a painting contractor so he has a nice sprayer. SOooooo foci_fosho did you sand? If so for how long and to what end? Then one coat of adhesion promotor, then say a few coats of the vinyl paint, and then what..maybe 7 coats of clear?? And that should give me the results I'm hoping for? I have black tinted windows..what do you think about painting the whole mirror casing instead of the half painted look of the SVT and others? Did you leave the pieces on when you painted or did you remove them?
Remember this when sanding...If you can feel it, you are going to see it. The smoother the better. It is probably 96.7 percent in prepping rather than spraying.

I personally would go down and get some wet sanding paper. Then use a fill-able primer and then wet sand them again. I don't know the exact numbers I used but I purchased a variety pack at Lowes.

I did this for a different car.

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright I decided to go ahead and paint my moldings today after I got off work. Right now I'm waiting for the fourth coat of paint to settle before I sand and put on a few coats of clear. I used an oil based paint from Duplicolor. I got 600 grit sandpaper like hillyard recommended and I sanded it down about half way smooth. I'm hoping with enough clear coat on there that the Duplicolor will stick. If not I guess I'll have to sand the shit out of it again and get some of the Dupont Vinyl. I'm only doing one side of my car for now because if it does peel and I wasted another 4 hours on the other side of my car I'm going to be pissed! I'm thinking I'll just wait about 2 days and then slap a coat of wax on there to seal it off.

Attachments

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Finished one side of my cars moldings!

Well, one side is complete and here's a photo. My car is still dirty as all hell but I want to wait a couple of days before I wash and wax it..after that it's gonna be soooo sexy!!! At least on the right side of the car...the left side still has black moldings [paranoid]

Attachments

·
aka The Wizard
8,950 Posts
could you do the same thing to the side skirts??? i love my car lowered, but with the side skirts black it doesn't even look that low......

·
all grown up
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah you could do the side skirts but it would take a long ass time...probably 8 hours per side if you wanted to do it right. I would recommend removing them from the car because the lighting and angle's might prove difficult to deal with. It was basically alot of wet sanding, a lot of taping and a lot of sitting around watching paint dry..no pun intended..It would also cost a lot for all that paint. I'll keep you guys informed as to whether or not the Duplicolor spray paint holds fast to the moldings. I <3 maybe you'de fair better taking their advice and using the Dupont vinyl paint if you plan on doing it soon just in case my project ends up failing!

·
aka The Wizard
8,950 Posts
ill just wait, its not really been nice enough around here to be doing painting....
although my rims and my interior came out nice.... i want to see how yours turns out first....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.