Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Thats What She Said
10,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the valves, springs, and such out of the head... but can't seem to figure out how to pull out the old valve seals.... any ideas, tips, or useful tools used to remove them?

·
FF Affiliate
30,369 Posts
There is a tool to remove the , it kind of looks like a socked cut in hale and each half welded to a long set of needle nose pliers if that makes sence , there is another that has about the same thing but is uses with a slide hammer

You could use the first I said and if you have a wire welder make you a tool very easy

Tom

·
Thats What She Said
10,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't have a welder.... this is something you can get at a part store as either a tool rental or buy? Or is it specific to the focus and need to buy the tool from a dealership?

·
C2H5OH
11,868 Posts
Haven't tried this personally but, a spark plug wire pliers should work nicely.

·
Thats What She Said
10,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will the Schley SCH92350 tool work on removing the valves from the zetec head?

·
C2H5OH
11,868 Posts
Looks correct, but $30 seems a bit much for a one time use tool IMO.

·
Thats What She Said
10,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's if I can get one for $30.. looks like most the places after shipping will be $45+...

I have asked in the regional forum if anyone has this kind of tool that I can borrow... It looks like there are install tools also, do we need install tools on the Zetec? It would seem like you could just "press" them in.

·
Registered
15,560 Posts
Yes, play around with your deep sockets. There can be one that just interferes with the top of the seal enough so that when you twist it on it will lock and you can further twist the seal up and off. They only are held on with an internal light tension spring. To reinstall you simply press the new part onto the guide, have the valve in place first as a pilot to aid you. They often put a little sleeve in the seal package to put over end of valve. It stops the valve end/edge from cutting the seal inside diameter. A drop of oil helps too. I then use a bigger OD (to clear the upper rubber seal!) socket to tap on the springseat area to make sure the guide is all the way down.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Old thread, but just FYI a 17mm deep socket worked great on my SVT. Was a bit hard to remove the old seal but wanted to help in case someone ever needs the info.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts