Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks im new to the site but a 4 year focus owner anyway, I have a Cottenwood tree over my drive and its dropping all kinds of sap on my car trimming the tree not an option. Usualy i can get the stuff off but a week long vacation and the focus sitting under the said tree in 90 degree heat and the sap will not come off. i have tried the following

bug gut remover
kerosene
Clay bar

and general washing but this stuff is like a rock if i try to use my fingernail it will only chip the paint.

Am i screwed? what can i use to get it off? do i need to wet sand buff and wax the paint all over again?

thanks for the help.
Jake

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tried it.
this stuff is like the tree sap from the first Jurasic Park i have found bugs stuck in it and well ya know 1 million years from now some scientist will be able to extract my DNA and creat some angry beast....

thanks for the option
keep em coming guys

·
Registered
25 Posts
de-solv-it and a little bit of elbow grease. it will leave a bit of residue but just wash the car afterwards. i use this myself. find it at wal-mart in the laundry detergent aisles.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
heat hmm worth a shot ill give the detergent a shot after that im going to the auto shop to buy some 2000 grit...

·
Registered
399 Posts
i used rubbing alcohol on mine which was baked for at least three weeks. to the point where it is rock solid. it got the sap off with ease. and also the car wax. so i immediately rewaxed that spot again.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Do not heat it, that is very bad for the paint, all you have to do is take a bowl of hot water outside with a couple of Bounce dryer sheets and that will take it right of with little effort, i wouldnt steer you wrong man. After you do that be sure to wash and wax the paint that you cleaned.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
b16sir1991 ill give it a shot after we get done with the 1/2" hail and 55mph winds....

i didnt try the heat yet but im sure it wouldnt work due to the car sitting in the hot sun and the sap turning to goo..

for any of you who have trees over your driveway thank god its not a Cottonwood. im pulling out the chain saw next spring.......

·
Registered
89 Posts
b16sir1991: Mike thanks for the tip, the dryer sheet did the trick for me! [thumb] Although it took a good bit of elbow grease to get several of them off.

My fault, I shouldn't have waited.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Your welcome sir, glad it worked. I have used that many times to get sap, bug guts, and tar off of cars. It works pretty well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts