Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I own a 2000 ZETEC 5 speed with around 112000 miles, and as much as I would love to play an expert, I'm not, in fact, this is my first car, so I havn't had allot of experience with this sort of thing except working on my dads mower (he's not much of a macanic)

Anyway, as the title states, my transmission is leaking fluid, out of the top where the shifter thingy goes in. It appears to be leaking from around a white cap of some sort (or atleast I think it's were it's coming from, and It doesn't smell like oil or brake fluid, and is only really wet here). I have a picture I took with my iPod.

So my question is, what exactly do you recomend to fix this? My best guess is that it is a seal around the cap, but I want to know what you guys think, I can provide more pics and info if needed...

Thanks for any help in advance.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Well there is supposed to be a transmission vent somewhere on top of all transmissions. Make sure that's not what you're sealing around. That looks like the VSS. You can remove the VSS and replace the O-ring, or get another VSS- which would be really expensive.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
After some googleing, VSS == Vehicle speed sensor??? Wich would control speedometer or tachometer? Both work fine so I have no reason to replace the whole sensor... just O-ring if that's the case, however right in that area were the O-ring should be is mostly dry, it's hard to tell in my picture, but the white thing that the VSS sits on (that is all greasy) looks slightly bent upward on from the side I'm standing (were the front bumper is), I wouldn't think it would look like that???

ESIT: Or maybe that is the vent you mentioned?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Honestly, from the picture, it looks "Normal" for a high mileage car that hasn't been cleaned....

SOME seepage, PLUS oil vapor from the vent that's SUPPOSED to do that, is normal - and as grime builds up on it it starts to look bad....

As long as you don't see a FLOW of fresh oil from that area, PLUS drips on the ground, leave well enough alone & just CAREFULLY "degrease" the engine to be able to see what comes out in the future....

NO high pressure spray for example, and you want to cover & avoid spraying electrical components as much as possible...

Spray degreaser, then brush the heavy deposits, then hose off WITHOUT a nozzle on the hose so you get a stream of water WITHOUT appreciable pressure is the trick...

MANY don't use a hose without the engine running, to make sure it STAYS running....

Water down the plug holes is a particular issue. As the rubber ages it doesn't seal well any more & the car won't run worth BEANS with the plug holes full of water!!!!

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh no, it was running down the tranny yesterday and dripping. After reading on google some, it seems that a ton of shit can collect there (like it has) accumulating in the heat vent thus causing the trany to get hot and start pushing pressure out of the vent forcing out extra fluid, witch I did drive it allot yesterday (around 150 miles) with a good bit of stop and go...

I cleaned up around that cap thing, and now I can see that it isn't bent, and that there is a white cap that sits on a metalic plate where the Reverse switch (thanks Mike_Mac) goes. I think in the process I may have discovered the vent [hihi] If I am correct I am running an orange wire down it to see if it is plugged.

With some poking and prawding I can get it to go down about 5 inches... Is this about the depth it should be going?

What I think I might do is change it's fluid as the previous owner didn't give me a list of things he changed and when I got it, and carefully inspect it every time I drive it.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
The vent hole only has to go through the TOP of the transmission, maybe an inch from the top of the tube - then you're just sticking a wire into thin air inside the tranny.

Make SURE the cap gets back on the vent properly - it's there to keep WATER out, while allowing the tranny to vent....

MANY are NOT removeable without destroying the vent assembly... I HAVEN'T checked the Focus for this issue....

To ask a silly question, have you checked the fluid level in the trans.??

Has the fluid ever been changed?

At the mileage mentioned it's due if it hasn't already been done....

Bad O-Ring seal sounds likely, BUT there shouldn't be much oil to flow out there unless the trans. is overfilled or the oil is old and foaming too much as you drive...

(It only splashes up on that area under normal conditions...)

Luck!

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The vent hole only has to go through the TOP of the transmission, maybe an inch from the top of the tube - then you're just sticking a wire into thin air inside the tranny.

Make SURE the cap gets back on the vent properly - it's there to keep WATER out, while allowing the tranny to vent....

MANY are NOT removeable without destroying the vent assembly... I HAVEN'T checked the Focus for this issue....
Okay I'll look into this.

To ask a silly question, have you checked the fluid level in the trans.??
No, I wasn't aware of anyway I could?

Has the fluid ever been changed?

At the mileage mentioned it's due if it hasn't already been done....
I do not know, as I said, the guy that sold it to me never kept records of what he did to it, All I know is when I got it I replaced every brake on the car, the Ebrake was rusted up, the back springs had broken and the oil was due for a change (not BAD but it was about time for one), I've been checking the car over and making minor changes like changing fuses to it since I got it, but I really do love the car, starts/runs fine, shifts smooth, good first car :)

Bad O-Ring seal sounds likely, BUT there shouldn't be much oil to flow out there unless the trans. is overfilled or the oil is old and foaming too much as you drive...
Yeah, I'll try changing it and see if it helps, if not I'll look into the O ring, if still not... I dunno, one step at a time.

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
If you've been dripping, then check the fluid level in the transmission. You can even change the manual transmission fluid. The drain plug is located behind the lower dog bone motor mount under the car. The fill plug is located on the side of the transmission pointing towards the front of the vehicle. Both are 5/16 or 8mm Allen, or hex key.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts