Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
MOAR BEWST!!!!
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed a couple things after driving my fofo for almost 5 months now. It was like this when I bought it and it hasnt gotten worse or changed so I was wondering if this is just how it is...when I shift from 1st to 2nd it feels like I need to use more force (never grinds at all) then any other gear to get it to go into second and it makes a loud clicking/clunking noise that I can hear with the windows down through all gears. However, when I downshift from 3rd or any other gear higher then 2nd it goes in gear smooth as butter. Also, is there a lockout for first because if Im going any faster then ~8mph it seems to not want to go into gear. Should I be worried? Also is there ANY way to check how much fluid is in my trans?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Sounds exactly like my car. I’ve always thought that was normal. I am under the impression that is because of the very tall first gear, a little annoyance we SVT owners have to put up with to have the other 5 gear right where they are suppose to be. I thought , the 1st-2nd shift, did seem to be a little better after I installed my tune. The shifting mechanism has always had the rep to be a little on the noisy side. You can check the fluid level easily. Jack up the car, must be level, and remove the upper filler plug on the tranny. Insert your pinky to the first knuckle and you should be able to touch some fluid, if not add some.

Reactions: WD40

·
Banned
1,671 Posts
get royal purple synchromax in there, it'll smooth it out a lot (it did for me, my tranny got to where it was almost unbearable, now it's smooth as butter)

·
Registered
114 Posts
my 04 does the same thing. The clunking noise into second I believe is due to the Counter Weight on the Shifter (correct me if I'm wrong.). There is a removal "HOW TO" on the site. This will make it a little less annoying. But overall thats just the way it is!

·
70 100 70 70 : (
1,977 Posts
^yes i think its the counterweight, i just removed it and it feels different andi dont remember the sound now :eek: haha

·
Registered
220 Posts
Mine does it too. I wouldn't worry about it.

·
MOAR BEWST!!!!
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
haha thanks guys. I wasnt getting any responses on here and it just so happens that I did run across that counter weight removal and I did it yesterday because it was so nice out. Much of the noise disappeared and I love how much nicer and easier it is to shift now. And in the spring I think I will do a tranny fluid swap to that Royal Purple!

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts